Problem changing rear outer bearing on 98 Vanguard 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem changing rear outer bearing on 98 Vanguard 6x6

Problem changing rear outer bearing on 98 Vanguard 6x6

I got all my parts for my bad bearings and started with the right rear bearing. I went by the service manual step by step but somethings wrong I started with putting the outer flange on the one with the grease fittings then the bearing I locked the bearing down with the set screw lined up my fitting with the hole in the bearing then put the gasket on then the inner flange. Now here's the problem the manual shows the out flange and the inner flange right on top of each other but I have a 1/2 inch gap with the gasket between them. I checked to make sure I have the right parts for this one I bought a new outer flange a bearing and 2 gaskets. I'm reusing the inner flange because there was no damage to it. I no the outer flange is the same because it has the same numbers on it as the old broken one . The bearing does not go far into the outer flange and I don't want to try to press it because cast breaks easy it's not sitting on the seals that are in the outer flange there's a small gap between them. To me it looks like the inner flange should sit over the bearing more. The bearings O.D is 2.44 inches and the inner flange I.D is 2.01 inches. The bearing sits in the outer flange a little more then a 1/2 in. I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and I'm ready to through something.

Check to make sure you have the bearing in the proper orientation. Set screws should be towards the middle of the machine. Don't throw anything it will be a pain getting it clean again before you re assemble. I just did all my inner and outer bearings this september so I feel your pain.

Facemelter. I did just that. Like I said in my post I went off the service manual step by step. Even when I take everything off the shaft and try to put the pieces together they don't fit. First I have the outer flange then I set the bearing in the flange with the grease holes in the bearing lining up with the grease fittings then a gasket then I put the inner flange on. By what I see in the manual and some videos I watched the outer flange and the inner flange should meet up with the gasket between them. When I try It I have a 1/2 gap between the flanges the inner flange sits on the bearing. The only thing I can think is I have the wrong bearing. I know the outer flange is right it has the same numbers on it as my old one and I'm reusing my old inner flange so that's right that leaves the bearing but it fits on the shaft perfectly but not between the 2 flanges.
    Last edited by Rj1; 10-26-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Missed some things

They must be the wrong outer diameter. They should be 62 mm OD for the inner and outers. I used an after market one and just had to grind a grease channel on the outer ring because the grease hole was on the set screw side. https://www.bearingscanada.com/mobil...BoCHm0QAvD_BwE

Just looked at your original post again. Don't tighten the set screws until the whole thing is back together. That could also be what is stopping you. If the bearing has to shift up or down the shaft a little the screws will dig in. I removed the set screws completely on the outer bearings of mine.

Sounds as if you are attempting to fit a 72mm bearing in a 62mm flange. As stated all bearings on axles in 98 are 62mm.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

It was the inner flange that was the problem. It's the only part I wasn't replacing because it was still in good shape. It took two days to figure it out with the help from Ed at Argo Adventure. That's were I bought my parts. He had me send him pictures of everything and how they would not fit. The problem puzzled him so yesterday I pulled my left rear axle apart to match it up yo the right. Same outer flange with the 2 grease fittings same bearing put different inner flange. The one that wouldn't work had a smaller I.D and it also had a lip on both sides were the one from my left axle only had one lip for the inner gasket to sit against. I don't know what bearing was in the right side because there was nothing left of it but it could not have been a stock bearing. I ordered a new flange and since I have the left side apart I'm going yo change the bearings there to. Does anyone know what this flange is for it has two lips and the lip that sits on the bearing is bigger then the one for the gasket and it has a smaller I.D. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would but I'm lost when it comes to that stuff I always have to ask my daughter to do it for me

I'm glad you figured it out. I can see why you were getting frustrated. No one would have thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by Rj1 View Post
    It was the inner flange that was the problem. It's the only part I wasn't replacing because it was still in good shape. It took two days to figure it out with the help from Ed at Argo Adventure. That's were I bought my parts. He had me send him pictures of everything and how they would not fit. The problem puzzled him so yesterday I pulled my left rear axle apart to match it up yo the right. Same outer flange with the 2 grease fittings same bearing put different inner flange. The one that wouldn't work had a smaller I.D and it also had a lip on both sides were the one from my left axle only had one lip for the inner gasket to sit against. I don't know what bearing was in the right side because there was nothing left of it but it could not have been a stock bearing. I ordered a new flange and since I have the left side apart I'm going yo change the bearings there to. Does anyone know what this flange is for it has two lips and the lip that sits on the bearing is bigger then the one for the gasket and it has a smaller I.D. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would but I'm lost when it comes to that stuff I always have to ask my daughter to do it for me

So I assume from the sounds of things your machine has at some point received the HD bearing upgrade?
    This upgrade would have a black steel outer flange , 72mm bearing, black bearing carrier.
    If so the bearing carriers inner or thin section actually fits into the hole in the frame, then the gasket(s), then bearing then outer flange correct.
    I believe all the question issues have been that a 98 would have come with 62mm parts. These consist of aluminum outer flange, 62mm bearing, stamped steel inner flange and cork gasket against body.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 10-30-2021 at 08:10 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Last edited by ARGOJIM; 10-30-2021 at 09:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread