Belt question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Belt question

Belt question

OK...the crossover I traced down was a epic failure....so I'm going to measure the belt I need out myself...these are my questions...with the engine not running when the belt is on the primary how far down does it ride? In other words does it touch the hub in the center of the assembly? If it does is there any play side to side in it? (2nd question) Where does the belt ride on the secondary? does it ride flush with the top or is it ride down inside? I figure I can take measurements and get close....or if someone can measure there belt or give me the part number of a belt that works well with there machine I would be forever greatful...spending $40-$50 per belt to find out there wrong is starting to irk me (not to mention undoing all the stuff to get the belt on and off)...thanks
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

Found a site that may help you find your dimesions. If you can measure your center to center distance from crankshaft to trans. shaft. The measure the driven pulley. 40 series clutches use 7 1/2" driven. The 44 use a 8 1/2" driven. What ever one is closer to your driven, I dont know off hand. That will tell you the circimferance and then I think your machine should have a 1" wide belt. With circumferance and width should have no problems

40/44 Series Belts

The top of the belt should fit about an eighth to sixteenth of an inch above the driven pulley top edge. The width should allow the belt to lay against the shaft on the drive pulley with about a 1/16" side clearance. The belt should be snug with about an inch slack on one side when pulled tight. Hoffco Comet gave me a formula one time to calculate the approximate belt size. They may give you some advise. The driven pulley width determines the width of the belt. You may get close with the the belt length using the following online calculator. Its for v belts and the principal is the same. Belts are measured from the outside.

V-Belt
    Length Calculator

if the clutch has alot of side clearance but fits snug (proper length) The side clearance on the clutch may corrected by shimming.
    Photos of the installation may be helpful. Is the engine origional?

Thanks guys....I tried the Gates numbers and they ended in a dead end...no crossover to another part number....the old belt I have seems to be close to the width I need but the length is too long (47 inches) I'm gonna try the Comet belts...7/8 I think will work well....just got to get the correct length....I've never messed with a varible type setup before so this is all new to me....the info you guys gave me was a huge help Thanks again!!
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

7/8" may be more prone to snapping and wear quicker or slip more, not sure but worth noting

Big Sal: If the belt is too narrow and sits down in the driven (not sticking out 1/8" like JBF said), you'll loose a LOT of low end, like driving your car stuck in 3rd gear to start off. You'll also loose some top end if you can get to it. Both my machines should have a 30mm or 1 3/16" belt from the best I could track down the #s, but neither uses the 6040 yours originally had.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

actually, wouldnt that give it more torque, less RPM?
    because the RPMs would be higher when it engages so it comes off the line faster but winds out quicker

It revs more before engaging, but since the belt is sitting lower in the driven pulley, it's in a higher gear. And believe me, it's a BIG difference. Feels like it's a weed-eater motor, no power.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

http://www.recreationsupply.ca/pdf/2...rive_Belts.pdf

Found this. Page 3 has some dimensions.

+ Reply to Thread