Mudd Ox vs other Hydro drives

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mudd Ox vs other Hydro drives

Mudd Ox vs other Hydro drives

Most of you guys know I have owned several aatv's. One of my favorite was the old Cushman Trackster back in the early 70's. It didn't float very well, but was heck of an old swamp runner.
    Since then I owned a Hydro Traxx for a few years. It was a very tough machine and I liked it very much. The high whine of the Generac engine drove me nuts, but it was also a very tough machine. I understand the new units have a bigger engine and are not as loud.
    The most impressive machine that I have driven is the Mudd Ox. I don't own one yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on one.
    I test drove one recently and found it to be about everything that other Hydro static machines are not.
    I like the larger engine with the CVT clutch. It will allow me to putt down the trail at a lower rpm. The external braces on the axels will tie all of the axels together for much more strength. I carry moose and I believe it will do that very well.
    I like the center engine for better balance and a better "pivot" point while going over logs and up sharp banks. In my experience, the 8 wheel units have a greater "traction" with more wheels on the ground when going over sharp banks, logs etc.
    I especially like the fluid drive when going through swamps. When turning or if one side bogs down, it is easy to add more power to the bogging side rather than having to brake to turn. Momentum is EVERYTHING!
    I could go on for days, but I think that Matt at Mudd Ox has designed one heck of a machine.
    I live in an area that requires a machine that will hold up under sub-zero as well as gruelling peat bogs, and carry heavy loads. I believe the Mudd Ox will keep me from having to walk out.
    Bubba
    Last edited by George"Bubba"Hunt; 03-17-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Welcome, Bubba. I enjoyed your Route6x6 posts a few years back, and am glad to see that you are still active in the AATV world.

I recall your devotion to the Hydrotraxx, but I have a question. How can the Mudd Ox be your new favorite if you don't own one, and have not run it through it's paces for at least a season in the Alaskan wilderness? You are well known for truly testing the limits of your machines, and were never bashful about posting your experiences in a balanced and entertaining manner.

Best regards,

Bud

Bubba ,

I also enjoyed reading about your Hydro Traxx , 6x6 adventures, on Route 6x6too. The Hydro Traxx 6x6 is a well built machine , but like you Bubba ,what turned me off about it , was the constant loud whine of the hydrolics. The CVT design of the Mudd Ox allows you to drive slowly through the trails with a lot less noise. At lower engine rpm,s , you,ll also use a lot less gas too.
    Another thing that I like about the Mudd Ox when compared to the Hydro Traxx , is the versatility of it. It can be used commercially , and also for recreational purposes as well. The Hydro Traxx 6x6 is mainly limited to forrest roads , dirt roads , pipe lines , and open off road areas.

OOps

Bud, I see that I made a statement about the Mudd Ox being my "favorite Machine". Well what I really meant was the Mudd Ox was the best operating machine that I had driven. No I haven't put it through the bad stuff yet, but what I have seen and what I found by driving one, certainly answers a lot of the questions. I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

A Mudd Ox is definitely on my "must see" list. I am looking forward to real world use critiques from qualified riders like yourself, and also waiting for that winning lotto ticket that will allow me to purchase one!

Bud,

If things work out in the very near future ( this year ) I,ll have a new Mudd Ox , 8x8 , and you,ll be seeing lots of Mudd Ox video,s on the forum.

Cool!

curious !

Just curious to know if Bubba ever did buy himself a Mudd-Ox and if so what does he think of it compared to his Hydrotraxx ?
    Last edited by Mike; 05-16-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: moved post to existing thread on the topic

To the best of my knowledge he has not bought a Mudd-Ox. He recently looked at a diesel model and was impressed. He had recently experienced some medical issues and put his Mudd-Ox purchase on hold but appears to be doing quite well from that.
    Last edited by Mike; 05-17-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Glad to hear that George is doing well..........I'm looking forward to his sharing of more of his experiences.

+ Reply to Thread