Max 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Max 8x8

Brilliant! Tag teaming an AATV build,I like it!

Joe.

I am looking for some guideance on clutch setup. If any of the members that have gone through it could give some input it would be appreciated.

First I need a secondary clutch that will switch the offset on the belt.
    (thebuggyman1 photo of stock secondary)

To something like one of these (thebuggyman1 and spookum photos)

This needs to be done to move the belt away from the tub on the MAX so I have room for the primary clutch.
    spookum had mentioned that the Polaris Clutch had a wider ratio than the stock argo, I liked that.
    Would anyone know what Polaris would fit a T20 7/8" (.875) input. I asked about one on ebay like spookum's and they said it was a 1" shaft. I would like to start with a cheap used secondary so I can get started fabricating motor mounts.

Next question is about Primary clutches. I have to make an adapter for my engine so shaft configuration is flexible.

All the clutches I looked at good for 100+ HP have been for two stroke with a high engage speed, like 1800-2500rpm. I want something in the 1000-1200rpm engage. I noticed Arctic Cat had some larger four stroke machines, I wonder if one of these would work.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks,
    MAX IV Mark

I'm not sure how much room you need with that motor but does it help if you flip your clutches around and just run them backwards. That should allow you to run the belt closer to the T20 which should allow you to slide the motor over and gain a little more room for the primary clutch. Also, depending on how much more room you need and where the primary will hit the tub, you can just remold the tub. I did that to fit the engine down in my Max IV. Whipper did the same thing with Goliath I believe.

What type of polaris clutch are you looking for.I have a couple off a polaris sportsman 500.

here is the Polaris against the Salisbury

Polaris P85 sleeve for 7/8 T-20 shaft
    Acta non verba

Marc,

The Polaris clutches are all 1" diameter shaft as JBF shows he used a sleeve to mount it to the t-20. I'm not sure on the outer diameter of all the polaris clutches but the one I bought and can't use is over 10" so there would be a clearance issue with a Max frame unless you mounted the T-20 higher. Also flipping the clutches around would require the secondary to use the other ramp in the helix. Also you might need a reverse wound spring too. I'm dealing with the same issue with my max and dropping the engine to the frame. I think the best option is to use te invance secondary like Buggyman did. If you find a different solution let me know as I'm in the same boat.

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    does it help if you flip your clutches around and just run them backwards.
    I think if I could flip one it would line up nice, but then when it shifted to high , one clutch would try to move the belt right and the other would try to shift to the left. If I did both clutches, I think the engine would need to move too far right instead of too far left.

Quote Originally Posted by coosaridgerider View Post
    What type of polaris clutch are you looking for.I have a couple off a polaris sportsman 500.
    I am still doing my research, not sure what I need yet. But I think it needs to be out of a high HP snowmobile to handle the 95 hp honda.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    here is the Polaris against the Salisbury

Polaris P85 sleeve for 7/8 T-20 shaft
    Good info, I was wondering about a sleeve. The ones I was looking at were split and the keyway key went right through it. But I didnt know what I would do about the shoulder it needs to butt against.
    Engine Sleeve 2.20" Long to go from 7/8" shaft 1" including ste_ Sleeve-78-1x220 | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Marc,

the one I bought and can't use is over 10" so there would be a clearance issue with a Max frame unless you mounted the T-20 higher.

Mike
    This is going to be Mid Engine so the T20 is going to be far from its original position. Raising it up a little to clear may not be an issue for me.

Thanks for the responses. What I need to do is looking a little clearer
    MAX IV Mark

Mark,

Couldn't you use a bushing to butt it up against the shoulder?
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

I think you need to keep the sleeve tight to the shaft and clutch bore to prevent it from rattling and wearing. The sleeve that jerseybigfoot had there would prevent this by sandwiching them all together. Without that shoulder there is a chance you are clamping the clutch and leaving the sleeve loose, or clamping the sleeve and leaving the clutch loose.

I have been reading up on polaris clutch setups, here is some good reference material I found
    http://www.vintagesnow.com/Polaris_f...5%20torque.pdf
    http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/a.../t-175750.html
    http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Secondary_Clutches
    Last edited by MAX IV Mark; 09-14-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Did some work on the project.
    I got a primary and secondary clutch so I could work on engine alignment and mounts.

My High tech alignment tool making the bottom cradle

My parts notched, drilled and ready to weld

Since all the legs are different angle and lengths. I made a fixture that aligns and holds the cradle to the main bearing caps while I cut and weld the parts.

Welded up and test fit.

+ Reply to Thread