Project "Copperhead Springer"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Project "Copperhead Springer"

Runamucks , George
    Acta non verba

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Whipper, I was afraid it might void the warranty. When the tracks were on the Argo they were no fun at all, but the Copperhead is just a blast. Tires or tracks the Copperhead is just a joy to drive.
    Acta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Whipper, I was afraid it might void the warranty. When the tracks were on the Argo they were no fun at all, but the Copperhead is just a blast. Tires or tracks the Copperhead is just a joy to drive.
    Yep, two different kinds of machines. One with no suspension relying on superior traction to get from here to there at a modest pace the other a lighter more nimble machine that's suspension allows faster travel and traction. With tracks the Copperhead is now sort of a hybrid between the two and could possibly open up an entirely new market for AATVs.

Your video shows it works. I know your kit is designed to allow the wheels to move up and down but the tracks will want to force your front and rear wheels inward. If not with the simple tension of the track itself but also when any of the wheels are pushed upwards alone. I know you will keep us informed on how everything looks as you put the Copperhead through it's paces.

Your wife lets you drive like that in the front yard?

Congratulations, Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Wow !!!!! That was awesome
    the next generation

Keith, There is an inch or so less in wheelbase than my Argo Bigfoot so the tracks are slightly loose on the Copperhead. The upper A arms are set back slightly from the lower so any impact on the front tire will move upward and loosen the track. Conversely any impact on the middle and rear tire will tighten it. I don't see a problem with straining the suspension as the front tire will move back and maybe cause the rig to squat if the rear or mid tire movement wants to stretch the track to much. There is probably less strain on the tracks and suspension with a sprung suspension. The interesting problem may be speed with centrifugal force acting on the belt. That will take the track discussion in a completely new direction.
    Acta non verba

Thanks Marc, I knew you would think it through and keep us informed. I will be interested in what you experience as you put it through some more rigorous testing. I also look forward to hearing what happens to the track at the higher speeds you plan to run. Being six wheels the track is shorter and might not be too bad. Now an 8x8 might be a whole different animal but I am thinking might not tend to be driven as fast as say a "sportier" 6x6 like the Copperhead.

Also I will be interested in how the power feels to you with the tracks. I know you intend to skip over the mud but I have a feeling you might end up dipping into it on occasion and I am curious how it will respond. Those fenders should get a good workout.

Good work and thanks, Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Keith, There is an inch or so less in wheelbase than my Argo Bigfoot so the tracks are slightly loose on the Copperhead. The upper A arms are set back slightly from the lower so any impact on the front tire will move upward and loosen the track. Conversely any impact on the middle and rear tire will tighten it. I don't see a problem with straining the suspension as the front tire will move back and maybe cause the rig to squat if the rear or mid tire movement wants to stretch the track to much. There is probably less strain on the tracks and suspension with a sprung suspension. The interesting problem may be speed with centrifugal force acting on the belt. That will take the track discussion in a completely new direction.
    I wonder if that upward motion puts anymore strain on the track/arms than a stock machine does when crossing obstacles that force the tracks upward between the tires such as driving over rocks and tree limbs/small logs.

As far as driving like a bat out of hell, I only tend to do that in areas that are relatively free of such obstructions.

Those tracks might slow the Copperhead down a little but you'll still be blowing by anything else on tracks.

Maybe we have a new event for June?
    Banned

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 10:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread