Another MaxIV Problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another MaxIV Problem

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    The sprocket should want to stay in alignment....something is pulling it out, maybe a bad idler allignment. You could try 2 split collars to hold it in place.
    Just read a post from Plumcrazy. Apparently there is two set screws,outter one and an otherr underneath ,an inner. This may be why I can't keep in place. ??!!

When aligning the chain and sockets. it is best to raise all tires off the ground loosen all set screws and turn the wheels by hand. This should allow all your sprockets to center themselves appropriately. If even one sprocket is off position it could be pulling others out of alignment. If your sprockets are good and your axles are true there should be no reason to walk if you aligned it properly. If it still walks there is something else going on. ie adjuster bad or frame bent.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I had my T-20 move out of alignment...Jersey identified the problem and fixed it too.
    Banned

Two set screws?
    If that's the case yes you would need to tighten the inner first on the shaft.
    I would pull both set screws and replace them with new ones.

Hogneck,

First off we all have been where you are- things not working out right, ride coming up quickly. Unfortunaly it's always better to do things right, unfortunately that will be a little more work. If you get a Buddy to help you can get down to the T-20 in less than an hour.

With that said you need to check what George suggested, also the output sprocket on the T-20 can slide down the spline away from the case causing alignment issues. This happened with my machine and is why RI recommends a spot weld on the backside to hold it in place. Now onto the axle sprocket assembly- I don't think the setscrews system is that good on holding the assembly. RI changed to milling snap ring grooves on newer machines. I would HIGHLY recommend the split collar option already mentioned. It's easy, cheap, the sprockets wont move and you won't have to pull engine to put them on.

I would strongly discourage you to not weld the sprocket to the axle. Removal of the axle after that would most likely ruin the axle because of the grinding that would be required to get the axle out with the close tolerances on the bearing and sprokets.

Good luck!

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

So, I'm confused.

You're running the single-tube sprocket assembly on the back axle (an upgrade from the two separate sprockets that were set screwed to the axle individually- they were snapping splined axles for a while, Jay said...). Two set screws hold this tube in place on the axle. The set screws don't just screw down to the axle to hold the tube in place; they screw "into" a hole on the splined axle. This is probably a silly question, but can you verify that the sprocket tube is lined up on the axle so that the screws are screwing into the axle, versus just "against" the axle to hold it? I've made this mistake putting the racers together, so I was just giving it a thought.

The biggest problem with the set screw style is that it's not that hard to break set screws, at which point your tube can slide to either side and cause the alignment problem (hence RI's upgrade to the snap rings) Two split collars, one on each side of the tube, will help a great deal, like Mike says. They're cheap, and a cinch to install....

What year did they go to the snap rings

I Have a vehicle made in 2003 with setscrew center and front axles and snapring rear with the one piece rear sprockets. Ive seen 2000 era vehicles with one piece rear sprockets that were single setscrews and also bouble rear sprocket ones with setscrews. Whenever I have a setscrew axle out I groove it and install snaprings.

I have a 2009 max2 that only has 30 hours so I havnt had to replace any thing yet it was a demo bought it from a dealer here in ms about 6 months ago. Do all the axles have snap rings on the newer models or just the rears?

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Hogneck,

First off we all have been where you are- things not working out right, ride coming up quickly. Unfortunaly it's always better to do things right, unfortunately that will be a little more work. If you get a Buddy to help you can get down to the T-20 in less than an hour.

With that said you need to check what George suggested, also the output sprocket on the T-20 can slide down the spline away from the case causing alignment issues. This happened with my machine and is why RI recommends a spot weld on the backside to hold it in place. Now onto the axle sprocket assembly- I don't think the setscrews system is that good on holding the assembly. RI changed to milling snap ring grooves on newer machines. I would HIGHLY recommend the split collar option already mentioned. It's easy, cheap, the sprockets wont move and you won't have to pull engine to put them on.

I would strongly discourage you to not weld the sprocket to the axle. Removal of the axle after that would most likely ruin the axle because of the grinding that would be required to get the axle out with the close tolerances on the bearing and sprokets.

Good luck!

Mike
    Thanks Mike and yes you are right,...welding on the shaft would be a dumb thing for me to do. I am going with locking collars I picked up today at work and will remove set screw or screws and align al lchains with tracks off the ground. I will post my success or demise. Frustration just always gets the better of me...plus Dad isn't here to put a" foot" where it" belongs" for me!

+ Reply to Thread