My fiirst 6x6 restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My fiirst 6x6 restoration

If you are able to get the sprockets loose and cut the inner most tin flanges, you may me able to get better access to the collars and/or remove the bearings with a puller. There are locking collars on the outer bearings also.

OK got it. I will try tomorrow night and see it that helps. I found the outer ones and have been working on those too. LOL I have been soaking all of them for the last few days in PB blast and WD40 like I read on a few other posts here. Man what a pain these things are.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it finally tore all the way down today. Man those axles were so hard to get apart. LOL I spent most of my day today working on getting those axles off and I am so glad I got that done. I had to bust out the angle grinder with a cutting disk and what helped out a ton was an air chisel with just a pointed bit on the end. A lot of those set screw were not coming out so I had to air chisel all around the set screws on a bunch of the axles and basically breaks the sets screws so they would come out in pieces. I'm exhausted. That was such a work out. LOL Now I have the second one to do which looks even worse so I can scavenge the parts I need off of that one to get this one running. As soon as this one is complete I will order what ever parts I scavenge for this one. When I look at his one it looks basically stock. But when I look at the frame for the rougher one I can see that someone has modded it. The one I am refurbishing now has two handles for the reverse which leads me to believe that it was done so you can have one of the drives in reverse while still have the other side in forward? It seems like the other one was modded so they are either both in forward or reverse. Which way should I go with that? I would figure both in forward or reverse would be a lot easier. I One I start taking the other one apart I will take picts of all the mods that were done so you guys can see the "handy work" that the PO did. I didn't get anyone to respond to my question yet on is the 18hp kholer going to be enough or should I look for a bigger motor. I guess I can always change the jets and some mods to get a little more hp out of that 18hp if its not enough. I will get some picts soon and post them up. I am so not looking forward to taking the other one apart!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Recon6x6 View Post
    I didn't get anyone to respond to my question yet on is the 18hp kholer going to be enough or should I look for a bigger motor. I guess I can always change the jets and some mods to get a little more hp out of that 18hp if its not enough. I will get some picts soon and post them up. I am so not looking forward to taking the other one apart!!!! LOL

The opposed 18 was an engine offered by the factory for the later machines ie 950/ 980, sounds as if the machine you have with the split shifters is a 945 that came that way from the factory.

Thanks again Jim for that info. Is there an advantage to running the spit shifters or should I convert it to a single shifter? The frame is almost ready for the media blaster. I am going to have to take the other one apart first to salvage all the parts I need for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Recon6x6 View Post
    Thanks again Jim for that info. Is there an advantage to running the spit shifters or should I convert it to a single shifter? The frame is almost ready for the media blaster. I am going to have to take the other one apart first to salvage all the parts I need for this one.
    Keep the split shift set up, it is far more user friendly. The T-20 does not have synchronized F-N-R shifting and doing one side at a time and having the gears mesh is much easier than trying to mesh 2 sides/sets of gears at the same time.

Buggyman, Thank you for that advice. Im glad you chimed in because I was really leaning towards the single handle setup up. Well that's one less thing I need to worry about now. I have the Honda 13hp with a clutch that I am going to have to sell because the new kohler engine has a 1 1/8 shaft on it. Now I need to find a clutch for it. After getting the other hustler in the garage last night and really looking it over it doesn't look like its going to make it guys. I'm going to grab the parts I need and part the rest of it out.

+ Reply to Thread