Homebuilt finally finished!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt finally finished!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Thats crazy cool. Any chance we could see a video of it swimming!!!
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say probably not before a tire change.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Great job on your build. Looks like you have a LOT of time in woodwork! Those old Dixon cone drives are some seriously heavy duty transmissions as long as you use good bearings on the main shaft. Did you make any changes to the gearing to get more speed? are you running a chain from the engine to the trans or the original belt setup.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by smyser View Post
    Thanks Larry, what you are looking at is a transmission from a zero turn mower, engine, wiring, lights and wheels off of assorted makes and models of riding lawnmowers. It steers just like a zero turn mower with two handles, driving 6 wheels instead of two. The plus to this system is that there is only one chain per side. ($9 dollars + tax each side).

Very ingenious. We have so much junk laying around here in America that its a shame. I try to recycle my junk all the time. I've made saw bucks for firewood cutting, utility trailers, etc., but you have taken this several steps beyond that. Great work on the build, and be sure to post more photos and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say probably not before a tire change.
    LOL. I was looking at the pic on my phone and didn't notice the tires, none the less the snow in the picture. I guess when I read it was water tight I assumed it had already been swimming.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Nice work!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I may be posting some videos soon, but none of water for awhile. As some have noticed these tires are not intended for water, and I will have to find some ribbed tires before trying out water.

Racerone, it has the original belt setup. I kept it because I can change the drive speed vs. torque with different pulleys, or add a vari-drive pulley to change the ratio on the go.

As for the man hours spent on this project, I started drawing on paper september 1st '10, and had a driveable vehicle by december '10. I did not consider it done until the paint went on and dried. I spent an hour or two everyday on it, which gave me something to look forward to after work. It was a pleasant building project.
    Last edited by smyser; 02-26-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Awesome job. I really like these home-built projects. It's cool to see one done, almost as cool as watching it in action Hint...Hint.
    When it warms up I'd definitely like to see how it swims. Hell, my J.D. walk behind is pretty easily steered just with two belts and two brake bands, so those who can build but with little budgets can get 6-wheeling with some work and ingenuity!
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Thank you, I've just added some more photos and I will work on a you-tube link, or upload a video later.

smyser,
    Im so pumped on this 6x6 you built. You did a awesome job on the woodworking. I can tell you have a great skill with building things and took your time building this!!! Very impressed with the whole build!!! Its cool you can show if you have skill, patience and limited funds you can still have a cool 6x6. The limited funds is the easy part, its the skill and patience that gets harder, lol.

If we had a section to vote for most impressive machine of the year I would vote on yours!

Very nice man! Pretty sweet 6x6!!! What engine are you using to power it? Curious to see some pics of the drivetrain and some videos too!

+ Reply to Thread