Gotcha T20D let the build thread begin

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gotcha T20D let the build thread begin

Any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Any progress?
    None lately. I get pretty busy during the winter months with other obligations. I promise to be back at work on this build soon.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thank you. The Gotcha is by far the coolest aatv ever made. I look forward to your build. Thanks for sharing.

BTW I remember seeing one of these or a similar aatv if one exists when I was a little kid. It was yellow, and if I remember correctly, it had larger tires than the ones shown in the 6x6 galleries. I could be wrong though. A lot of things seem big to a kid but are usually not.

I got a little progress done to the frame. I removed some unnecessary pieces and fit 2 of the four pillow blocks for the inner axle bearings. I need to do some parts ordering pretty soon. If I get everything I need, it shouldn't take too much fabrication to get this thing on the trails. Pics are in the gallery.

Got up to the shop last Sunday. I finished drilling the holes to mount the inner bearings. The frame is pretty much a roller, just need to get one axle back from HydroMike who was kind enough to turn the end down to spec for me. Thank again Mike!!! I also started with the engine mount fabrication, but was halted when I needed to deter main actual mounting positions. I still need to get the stub shaft for my engine to figure out where the clutch will align, and a few isolator mounts.

The body came home with me Sunday in typical Gotcha style (somewhat inside joke). With the good weather I was able to focus on patching the axle holes and some of the other small holes throughout the body. Its been a while since I have done any glass work, but following the directions for prepping, mixing, and applying has been easy enough. The compound I am using suggests an ambient temp of 60 - 70 degrees for best results, and I am trying to follow that closely.

Here are a few body pics:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have done a bit of shopping as well. The glass has cost me about $20 and I need about $20 more of the compound, but I had the cloth laying around. A kubota radiator costs about $350 which seems ridiculous. I got a radiator and cover off a Honda CX500 for $40 that should work nicely. I may sell the cover to offset the cost a bit, but am undecided about it. I also got a comet duster 4-stroke 1-1/8" driven clutch for $110. Rumor has it that the stub shaft available for my engine is 1-1/8".

List of stuff I still need:

Kubota 1-1/8" Stub Shaft - I think they run around $160 new, any help locating the right one for a good price is appreciated.

4 Isolator mounts - McMaster Carr has type I 3" mounts for less than $2.50 each. I need to check Fastenal to possibly avoid shipping cost. Unsure if I should get neoprene or rubber.

Radiator hose - probably just use some universal flex hose

Kubota starter that will work on the z482 - If anyone has some part numbers or ebay suggestions it would be welcome

Wiring Harness - Hoping to make one. Sounds fun maybe???

Sprockets and a few more sprocket hubs. I have to double check chain alignment to figure out how many additional hubs I need and have to decide on gearing. I am thinking of using the same tooth count as on my Tomahawk.

A bit more glass compound, primer, and gel coat - I want to gel coat the bottom black as original, but I found a tangelo orange metal flake I was thinking of mixing with clear gelcoat instead of the gold. I have never gel coated or used flake, and am hoping for acceptable results.

Roll cage material - I have a good friend in New York that might help me build a cage. I want front and rear bumpers and a front winch mount. This thing needs to hold up to both my boys driving it!

Tires and Rims - Unless some unbelievable deal comes up, I am holding out for the ASX's on k-lock rims. If need be, I have plenty of options to roll or drive it around on until the ASX's can be had.

Floor pan, engine cover, and seats are yet to be determined. I was thinking diamond plate aluminum for the pan, expanded metal for the engine cover, and am contemplating a stock Max II seat or one of those quad back seats that has a bucket seat with a storage compartment on either side.

I am sure there is a bit more I am leaving out, but thats it for updates for now.

This looks like a pretty cool project Drew.

Would the rubber mounts off an Attex work?
    Banned

I thought about using them and just stacking them 2 tall. I have plenty of them laying around, but I need 3" to clear the bottom of the motor, and I think stacking will give too much flex.

Well progress continues at a snails pace it seems. I called the company that stocked the metallic flake I was planning on using. I asked about their gelcoat products and priced out almost $500 worth of products to finish the body. I needed more if I were to go that route, but at $500, my wallet said "Find another way." With some research, I found some paint for the upper body that I really like the look of, and the system will only cost me about $100. I will still need to figure out what to use on the lower, but a good black paint that will work should not be hard to find. I got most of the outer body patched the way I want it, and got around to priming it tonight. There are a couple of spots that need a bit more attention, but nothing points it out like that first coat of primer.

[IMG][/IMG]

A little more progress has been made on the body. I still have a bunch of little imperfections to fix, but with some primer on it, I at least now where to spend my time. I used self etching primer first, and then some filler primer which I ran out of.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well after a trip to Harbor Freight and Summit Racing, I have what I need to do the finish work to the body. I originally intended on using a gel coat system, but when the pricing for material surpassed $500 and I had not priced anything for the bottom, plans changed. I just used the cheapo Harbor Freight gravity feed gun and some rustoleum for the bottom after the self etching primer. For the top I bought Sublime Metallic Green and a prism clear coat to finish it off for less than $100. I want to cut the axle holes prior to painting the top, but I really wanted to use my new gun and see how the bottom was going to turn out. Well any way, here it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread