how to get ahold of whipper?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how to get ahold of whipper?

Whipper did send a message but I didnt know that. Happy to have his number now. Would have sucked to use 50 chain instead of 60. Thanks guys

I turned a welded sprocket off my right side output shaft. I replaced it with a sprocket from RI, which was knurled on the inside so it cut its way onto the shaft and I'm sure it will be as strong as new. Just in case though, I TIG welded 3 short beads. The sprockets came from RI within about a week of my placing the order so that wasn't a big deal either.

Quote Originally Posted by phabib View Post
    I turned a welded sprocket off my right side output shaft. I replaced it with a sprocket from RI, which was knurled on the inside so it cut its way onto the shaft and I'm sure it will be as strong as new. Just in case though, I TIG welded 3 short beads. The sprockets came from RI within about a week of my placing the order so that wasn't a big deal either.
    You probably ordered your sprocket when Recreatives was still in Buffalo, correct? I didn't think about turning the sprockets off on a lathe when I posted that last message, and yes it could be done, if done carefully. I've seen a couple instances where turning a worn piece off another on a lathe didn't work though. Hydromike turned some welded on hubs off some bent axles for me and it worked well. Output shafts are too expensive to risk it though, in my opinion. I'd just have them put on a broaching machine and then put tack it in two small spots just for some extra holding power, but this way they can be cut off with a small die grinder if they need to in the furure.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I was able to substitute care for skill in turning my sprocket off the axle and it worked out well for me. After I removed the sprocket I could still see the remaining knurl marks on my axles. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get it that close again in a zillion tries. Is a broaching machine what is used to do that internal knurl? Is that a single point tool with the sprocket indexed over after each cut?

I ordered about 2 weeks ago. I talked to Galen who quoted me a price and told me he wasn't sure if they were in stock or not since stock wasn't in Buffalo anymore. I called about 10 days later to ask if I'd need to wait a long time for more to come in or if it would be a short wait. He said he had no idea, it could be months until RI placed an order for more, and that I should talk to Whipper about getting new ones made if I didn't want to risk a long wait. At that point, I asked him to cancel the order so that they didn't show up in 3 months and when he looked up my order to cancel it, it was marked shipped. Sprockets were waiting for me when I got home that day.

So the price was good, the delivery time was reasonable, but visibility into the process could use some work. It also seems that shipping/handling starts at $16 or so, which takes a big bite out of a small order.

With new sprockets and Speedi-sleeves where the seal rides, I doubt that I'll be having to deal with those shafts again for as long as I own the machine.

+ Reply to Thread