New to the forum with a big request, will a max iv or 8x8 best fit my needs?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum with a big request, will a max iv or 8x8 best fit my needs?

I've actually got that one bookmarked, sent him an email today, I think he had his phone number listed as well so I'll give him a call tomorrow afternoon if I don't get a response. Is 500+hrs a lot on these machines?

Real nice Argo Response with tire upgrade,winch and brushguard on St.Louis CL. 150 hrs. 7500.00

Hi trick76cj5, Back to your long question about the Kawasaki 20 hp liquid engine. I would call to your attention a member who actually prefers the Argo Conquest to the 31 hp Avenger that I own. I think he is wrong,but he has many many hours of using his machines in very rough conditions and his young daughters often doing the stick operating. He has posted How To videos of replacing bearings and assembling tracks and has built a cargo rack or two that U Haul would be proud of. check out his site and let us know what you think. His site is Rock doc and until lately he only used the Kaw engine that comes stock in Conquests, which are 8wheelers. Welcome! We love seeing others bitten by the amphib bug.

I'm partial to MaxIV. But, we all have our opinions. The reason my opinion is as such is that the Max IV is not only a work horse, but it is still a lot of fun to drive. I use my MaxIV for hunting, mudding, pulling logs out of the woods and just plain having fun. With the addidition of Muddox buying the Max line, you might find some new and exciting things to happen in the very near future. Cost is one thing that I would seriously consider. Argo's a little more pricey then Max. The closeness of a dealer and others who have a machine like yours is also a nice consideration. They can help with maintenance issues. Take your time driving both machines and try to find a knowledgable dealer for each brand of machine. Good luck and let us know what you ultimately decide.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

I would consider a used Argo 6x6 Frontier-I like the 650. Since they have a two speed transmission with a low range you could get more work done and possibly haul a small trailer. If you could find a used frontier 8x8 that would be the machine for your situation, but they are hard to find and more then you would want to spend. The MaxIV is more fun to drive and offers better control but I feel the Argo is just a little more heavy duty for work. An 18 horse Frontier 6x6 could probably do everything you need it to do and there is always the possibility of running into a set of used Adair tracks for a good price.

Thanks for all the help guys! After reading through all the info here, and everyone's comments, i decided an 8x8 was best for my situation. After a lot of searching I found an 03 Conquest about 4.5 hours away. It came with Plastic Argo tracks w/ice cleats, windshield & top, brush guard, winch, heater, bilge pump, alternator, outboard mount, and a 17' long v-nosed 8.5' wide snowmobile trailer. It has 450 hours on it and was really clean.

I do have a few items to address here shortly, all the chains need adjustment (and all the self adjusters appear to be froze up). And i really need to pull the tracks off cause the ice cleats are not friendly to our asphalt drive.

Now off to the Argo specific section to figure out how to fix these derned adjusters! :-D

Congratulations. and good luck

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trick76cj5 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys! After reading through all the info here, and everyone's comments, i decided an 8x8 was best for my situation. After a lot of searching I found an 03 Conquest about 4.5 hours away. It came with Plastic Argo tracks w/ice cleats, windshield & top, brush guard, winch, heater, bilge pump, alternator, outboard mount, and a 17' long v-nosed 8.5' wide snowmobile trailer. It has 450 hours on it and was really clean.

That seems like a good deal.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Welcome to the ADDICTION. It's like entering the Hotel California. Once you enter you will never come back!
    Have fun my friend.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

+ Reply to Thread