ABS Body Work

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ABS Body Work

ABS

The Acetone does soften it, and it should burn blue if its ABS, which it has.
    But its odd that a Hustler would have ABS, but now I know that mine sure does. Perhaps becuase it is so old (1969).

Thanks for the help guys, now I can get to welding.
    Ci Vis Pacem, Para Bellum!

Quote Originally Posted by ygmir View Post
    I've done a fair amount of welding on my Hustler, posted some pics, etc in the gallery.
    It should be HDPE if a Hustler........if so, welding is really your only good option.
    I'm told the best material for welding repairs to HDPE is uncolored material, like, a coffee can lid. opaque, not clear.
    The colors, some more that other, can interfere somewhat with welding adhesion.......Although, I've had fine success, I was told this by and expert.

good luck,
    Henry
    It turns out you were right. The body of my Hustler is in fact HDPE. The piece i tested was a from a sheet of black plastic that was bolted to the bottom and back of the front seat, in a weird mod done by the prevous owner.

Here is my question though. I have got some HDPE & ABS stock, in their natural colours. Ill be patching holes, welding cracks, and doing some other mods.. What do you normally use to get the repairs to a colour close to what your welding? This case, Olive Drab & Black. I know paint doesn't stick well to HDPE. Ive got some big gaps to fill, and I am not keen on having a bunch of white repair evidence.

Hmm, the HDPE you intend to use is uncolored or pure white? I do know that RIT clothing dye will dye MOST plastics (I've done it quite a bit), but I am not sure on HDPE, although it's nothing a little test won't determine. I DO NOT KNOW if it will affect the welding or not. I would expect not, but check with someone with experience first, or do a test dyed and undyed and compare carefully. Maybe a lot of work, but also maybe will lead to a nice color match. (Once you find the closest color dye, you lighten or darken the color by dyeing time. Less=lighter, more=darker) OH, MESSY! Figure everything around the dying process will be ruined so old clothes, old container, something disposable for dying (kiddie pool is great for large items, but since it will get wrecked, use the neighbors), nothing of ANY value ANYWHERE near the operation. OUTDOORS (the vapor can dye objects, when I was a bit younger, my mom came home one day to find the smoke hood over the stove had mysteriously turned red )for heating, preferably a camp stove you don't care about changing the color of, etc....
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

6x6,

I have uncoloured and white HDPE stock I'll be using for the repairs.
    I'll definitely test out the RIT on some of that stubborn HDPE. Thats a good idea.
    I was reading last night about Kylon Fusion spray paint for plastics, and It bonds to PE, but the surface of HDPE is a bit different than that of PE, so I dont know about that. Plus, they dont sell it in Olive Drab.
    Thanks for the info.

Cyriak: The biggest difference between the dye and paint (Assuming that the paint does adhere well) is that the pain will still scratch off, the dye is in the plastic so scratches don't change the color, only DEEP gouges will remove the color. (If you don't already know, RIT can be bough at most supermarkets, and of course craft stores.)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

6x6,
    Good point about the paint. I'll give RIT a whirl, and let you know how it dyes HDPE.

my best color matches were using stock the same color as what I'm welding.......
    HDPE is used in many, many things......5 gal buckets are almost all HDPE, and, come in many colors........It'll say what sort of plastic it is on the bottom of most plastic containers......
    I was told by an expert, that, the undyed, opaque white, but not clear, HDPE is the best for welding.........some of the colorants used can interfere with adhesion and mixing, I'm told.
    That said, I used several different colors just for fun, and, they all seemed to stick well, but, the natural plastic seemed easier to work.........
    and, make sure you liquefy both pieces well and even blend them with the point of the welder, if you can.......

good luck
    Henry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

Thats good to know about the undyed being the best to use. I'll stick with that.
    Thanks for the info.

Smile What does it mean//

Cyriak, It was driving me nuts ,so I googled it!

"Ci Vis Pacem , Para Bellum" from Russian, translates to---If you seek peace, prepare for war. Do I have it right?

Smile What does it mean//

Cyriak, It was driving me nuts ,so I googled it!

"Ci Vis Pacem , Para Bellum" from Russian, translates to---If you seek peace, prepare for war. Do I have it right?

+ Reply to Thread