32 days in the bush with our Argo's

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 days in the bush with our Argo's

Here is a look at one of our Cabins. You will have to please excuse the mess.......... wife and kids were home alone all day while I went to the truck for a load. They were not expecting me back that early.

I didn't get stuck very much, but sometimes it can sneek up on you, lol

RD

A few things that happened along the way....
    Don't really know where to start, so will just toss out some stories:
    Early in the trip, first week or so, I noticed a wicked Cracking noise coming from the drive system in my Conquest. Now keeping in mind that I have poor hearing, and difficulty telling sound directions, this took me some time to figure out. First I suspected a bearing on it's way out, but could not tell what one it was. Finally I took the machine for a swim, and found that the 3rd Axle on the passenger side was pouring water into the machine......... Alrighty, I gotcha. I ran the Argo up on a stump, to check that bearing........... Hmm, a little loose, but not terrible. I figured WTH, I'll try to change it without taking the Track off. Surgery went well, and I changed out the bearing, off for a test ride......... NO DIFFERENCE. OK, so then I tracked the noise to a Failing Chain Tensioner....3rd chain on Passenger side. Carl, my good buddy has a spare with him, and lets me have it. Changed out the Tensioner and went for a test ride.......... Better, but something is still Cracking. So........ My Front Chains are looking really loose, I mean REALLY loose........ I bet a can cut them and get a Half-Link in them......... Um, well I was half right, I could indeed cut them, but no way in He!! could I get Half-Links in there. So then I get the bright idea that MAYBE I can get away without running front chains.... Off for a test ride I go. Meh, it works but I can make the tires spin inside the tracks, so back to the drawing board. I was a little ticked off, so insisted on getting new chains on that night. NOTE to self."Next time, just take the damn tracks off if you are fooling with chains" I got it done, but not untill about 12:30 Am the next morning. Noticed in passing that my Idler Shaft Sprockets are worn right out (This was half the problem, but I could do nothing about it at the time). Off to bed I went.

RD

[IMG][/

[IMG][/

Zuccinni Bread
    [IMG][/I

[IMG][/I

RD

Some of the vids are a little on the long side, so here are a couple short ones:

Mom wasn't as impressed in this one as I thought she should be, lol. On this piece of trail, the terrain is just perfect for guiding the machines without much driver input. Here we traveled just over 2.5 minutes without me touching the steering. We wandered around and brushed the willows a bit, but nothing too bad:
    Front View

Muskeg Pockets, Front View

RD

I was having a bit of trouble with the Ice Cleats on my Adair 14.5" Pro Series Tracks. I'm a little hard on my machines sometimes, loaded heavy, rough terrain, ect. Anyway, I managed to Bend/Fold a bunch of the Cleats, closing them up like "Clam Shells". This was no doubt from spinning out on rocks, roots, ect. I ended up having to pull them all off....... Really don't need them in the Summer time anyway.
    Also had some trouble with the 18.5" Adair Tracks on my daughters machine. After a few trips, it was time to shorten the tracks, I cut the chains, and pulled a full Grouser section out.... Perfect. But then, shortly later, I noticed that her machine was pulling to the right..... kind of in a wierd way. It would run true, then it would feel like something nudged the machine to the side, then straight again, then nudge to the right.....???? I played with tire pressures, started checking chains/bearings, ect. Finally noticed that 2 of the Grouser Spacers were broken on the outside edge of the passenger side track. Not really suprising though, we have to force this machine between trees on some trails around here. Anyway, as the broken Spacers rolled past the machines front tire, the track would "open" a bit along the outside edge, deflecting the track enough to make it influence the machine to turn to the right, slightly. Of course I didn't have any spares for that, so I bumped up the pressures in my right side tires to compensate a bit. Not looking forward to trying to change out those Spacers in the Tracks, so if anyone has had this problem, and has any Tips....???? I'm all ears

RD

There are only 8 of us that have Cabins at this lake, and on one of the weekends, most of us were out there. Good time for a "Pot Luck".
    I think there were about 20-24 of us there, and between us we had 11 dogs.
    I made the Turkey in the front Left of the pic, lol.
    [IMG][/

[IMG][/I

RD

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 11:36 PM.

always like watching your videos

I enjoy your videos. You got a cool daughter. She drives good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I was having a bit of trouble with the Ice Cleats on my Adair 14.5" Pro Series Tracks. I'm a little hard on my machines sometimes, loaded heavy, rough terrain, ect. Anyway, I managed to Bend/Fold a bunch of the Cleats, closing them up like "Clam Shells". This was no doubt from spinning out on rocks, roots, ect. I ended up having to pull them all off....... Really don't need them in the Summer time anyway.
    Also had some trouble with the 18.5" Adair Tracks on my daughters machine. After a few trips, it was time to shorten the tracks, I cut the chains, and pulled a full Grouser section out.... Perfect. But then, shortly later, I noticed that her machine was pulling to the right..... kind of in a wierd way. It would run true, then it would feel like something nudged the machine to the side, then straight again, then nudge to the right.....???? I played with tire pressures, started checking chains/bearings, ect. Finally noticed that 2 of the Grouser Spacers were broken on the outside edge of the passenger side track. Not really suprising though, we have to force this machine between trees on some trails around here. Anyway, as the broken Spacers rolled past the machines front tire, the track would "open" a bit along the outside edge, deflecting the track enough to make it influence the machine to turn to the right, slightly. Of course I didn't have any spares for that, so I bumped up the pressures in my right side tires to compensate a bit. Not looking forward to trying to change out those Spacers in the Tracks, so if anyone has had this problem, and has any Tips....???? I'm all ears

RD
    I have a set of 13" track for my Argo .. had the same thing found a broken side piece ,, called Tim and he was kind enough to send out a replacement piece and a couple of spares .. after fighting with the track I found that if I held it in a big vise and with care and a big set of pliers I was able to bend it in to place Good as new !... that is after removing the broken piece(s) left in the grouser holes ... Given my current condition and what I can no longer do I felt real good at being able to get it in place otherwise I would have to take half the track apart as the broken piece was right in the middle ...My biggest problem was having the strength to bend it in to place with a close second getting the track in a position where i could hold it and still have room to work on it ...
    Doc it should be a 2 second fix if you have the spare replacement pieces and given the skill you have shown ...Good Riding always and Thank You for sharing your adventures here ,,,
    Be Safe ..
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread