No idea what I'm doing!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No idea what I'm doing!

Unfortunately that doesn't look good for disassembly today.
    I would clean it really well after first cutting the chains off, then spray the life out of it with PB Blaster, and walk away for a week respraying it as I passed it daily, then knock the roll pins out, if you can get it running, then hit the sprocket teeth with a wire brush and put new chains on it ( I know, that sucks) , now drive the heck out of it trying to get the sprockets free of the axles ( to get the last few loose (you may need to re pin the free ones). Now the fun begins as you will have to free the lock collars from the bearings and get the inner bearing free of the axle, once the bearing is off the axle you can remove the 4 outer bolts from the outer bearing flange and attempt to pull the axle (you may have to sand the inner portion of the axle to get the sprocket off the axle) then you can remove the outer bearing out of the machine. Then again maybe it will just easily come apart and all this be moot, Maaybe.

Now that I've scared you, ( if all 6 axles are the same length) the easy, yet expensive , way is to cut the axles out and replace it with the new hd axle and splined sprockets with the 1 inch inner and 1-1/4 outer bearings with new double sealed flanges or the 72mm hd bearings.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hello Bucky5000,

You have a 1983 K 6x6 model. I have attached a parts manual below that covers many models of that era, at the top of each page it references what model that page covers, you will want to look for the K model. While many of the original parts are discontinued for the body, we do have superseded axle parts, bearings and sprockets in-stock. All you need to do is go to www.ArgoAdventure.com and type the part number the manual gives you into the search box in the upper right of our website if the part comes up as superseded/discontinued still click on the part and it will give you the superseded parts you will need.

PARTS MANUAL

You definitely have a project on your hands. Be sure to take a full inventory of parts needing a replacement starting with the engine to be sure it runs as that one item alone can be a large replacement cost if the engine is damaged.

Set a budget for repairs as things can get expensive quickly making it more reasonable to buy a newer unit already in good condition.

Let us know if we can be of any help.
    Last edited by Argo Adventure; 05-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.

I second the previous post. Probably going to cost you more to rebuild this one than to buy another machine in good condition. But if you proceed with rebuild you will learn a lot. Good luck from a guy that's been down that road.

+ Reply to Thread