Million $ Question: How can I make by Argo faster?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Million $ Question: How can I make by Argo faster?

Miami, if your bigfoot has all double chain throughout you should see something like 19 and 24 tooth sprockets, I guess on a bigfoot it would be 2nd and third axles with the 19 tooth. If you have some single chain you may not use them. I think that's what Robinhood is talking about. If you used a 19 on the countershaft it would be a big gearing difference. However unless you do all flat terrain you might not like it.

If your trans says MU on the top, and you have 25" tires, I'd make sure the clutches are working right(the belt goes all the way to the outside of the engine clutch) and do engine/govenor mods. That should be plenty fast, unless you are on very flat and smooth land all the time.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Roger,
    I read that the governor mods on an Briggs is very simple. It talked about adjusting the throttle cable. Is this correct? Or do you have to pull out the engine and remove the governor?

You can disconnect it and be ok. Long term it's better to take it out internally but no big deal. More important is replacing valve spring retainers, shimming or replacing the springs, and changing pushrods. The valves will float otherwise.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

My. 2015 Argo frontier 18 hp goes about 25mph on a flat grade, all original. Which I think is pretty good. Pot holes suck at 25 one these things couldn't imagine going any faster.

my magnum does about 35km/h but all the tranny wine and chain noise scares me lol,i refuse to take it faster

Bandolero motor. Now if I can only get this crazy thing to stop at 43 mph

Quote Originally Posted by miami123 View Post
    I've noted that older machines are faster. Any ideas?
    Older machines where often much lighter. When I had the Scrambler running it would go faster than I ever wanted. 16hp in a 450 pound fiberglass frame-less tub will do that. But it wasn't much for durability or abuse.

All you have to do is bend the governor tab to get more rpms. Get yourself a non contact tach from eBay and adjust the rpms to about 4300 anymore than that the valves float. If you want more rpms call AL hodge.

Ya curtis mine will do 33 (gps) on a slight down hill,but that was with tires i think my tracks will slow me down a bit

Quote Originally Posted by miami123 View Post
    I have a Bigfoot that tops around 18mph. My bigfoot has an 18hp engine. I've noted that newer 6x6's have the 23hp engine, but still claim to max around 20mph. Although it will have more torque, the extra HP should make it faster (in my opinion). What is preventing these machines from going over 35mph? I've noted that older machines are faster. Any ideas?
    My kidneys lol

+ Reply to Thread