1973 Gotcha Build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Gotcha Build

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    If all else fails, I would cut a slit down the tub part of the hub with a cut off wheel. It comes off easier and I have used them with the slit with no problems. I almost wonder if slitting them helps the bolt squeeze the tube on the axle.
    Mine did not have bolts in it it had roll pins. I was wondering about using bolts, I guess that answers that question.
    I think cutting them will be a last resort.

Mine also had the pins. I went to bolts too.

So the rust is really on there good.
    I tried the pipe wrench method of hub removal and...........................

LOL HEAVY DUTY

Well I guess I need a new pipe wrench.

wow, I have never seen that happen. That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    wow, I have never seen that happen. That sucks.
    I hade a 4ft pipe on the end of it for leverage. They are realy rusted on. But I have not given up.

So I tried again to remove the hubs today

Snapped another Monkey wrench.
    Then I made a slit in them and heated them up and soaked them with more PB BLaster

I only made the slit on one side. Wondering if I should put a slit on the opposite side of the hub?

I'd give it a bit of a beating. Put it on an anvil and flog it with a hammer while turning it around.

I finally gave up on the Scrambler hubs and took them to a machine shop to be pressed off. Cost? Priceless.

So you took the whole thing to a machine shop? Or Is there a way to get the axles out with the hub on?

Looks awsome, I amgetting one here shortly and was wondering on the actual size. Could you possibly get a picture with a full size man by it. Im 6' and about 275 pounds and am wondering how welll i'm going to fit.

**Also,those are piewrenhes. Monky Wrench's have a qooden hande and have a flat spot on the back ofthe jaws that can be used like a hammer. Im only saying this because I larned it like a few days ago in my Automotive Tech class.

+ Reply to Thread