winch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: winch

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff t-boss View Post
    I carry an extra 50 ft of cable and an adaptor I made up that I bolt on to one of the front axles if I have to. Although I don't run the best winch (Viper) it has done me well. The reason for the extra cable and adaptor is that I can use the engine and trans to assist my winch. And the extra cable takes the beating/twisting instead of my winch cable. Only had to use it once, but in conjunction with a 2:1 pull setup, pulls like on ice.
    Thnaks Jeff, going back to our construction days,,,,,,,, using wheel power/adapter to assist in reeling it in with a second line, good thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I'm also a fan of the RULE4200. If I could have my way it would have a 100ft spool, like the 3000lb. I would also like to see a faster line speed, but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I've tried a few of the cheeper brands, Gold Winch, Superwinch, Motomaster, ect. At the end of the day, I think you get what you pay for.

I have a couple 2000lb Warn Winches on my quads, and have had pretty good luck with them, Just don't use them to "Tie Down" your quad, and they should be fine.
    I was sad to hear the Rule is longer made & found a sight that still sells parts (Rule Winch Parts Supply & Repair - In Stock!) when I bought my 1999 Conquest it came with a Rule 4200 & when I went to use it for the first time, there was some sparking going on when I put the hook to the "D" ring, disassembled & found the brush holder broke, cleaned it all up & made an Alaska backyard repair till I could get new parts. Well 1 & 1/2 years later it is still working GREAT & just located this above metioned sight, contacted them & they have a new motor in stock with brake at $260.00 with a $140.00 core. Little spendy but this winch pulled an overloaded argo with trailer up hill after I spun out, my 50 foot cable was about 10 foot short, but with that spare rope that everyone wants to know why you are caring that all the time for, finally came in handy!
    By the way RD, I bought 2 new clutches this past spring, after running them this summer & after moose hunting, I modified the driven (tranny clutch) like you suggested, using the # 1 hole for the spring & this made an unbelievable difference in the performance! Turns on a dime in high gear, engine brakes down hill like you would not believe, in low gear! Made a new machine out it! I'll wait till the drive clutch starts to show some signs of weekening or next spring before adding a shim. I added a shim to the old drive clutch spring after cleaning it up & adding dry graphite, put it on my brother inlaws machine & now he won't give it back! sniffle sniffle, we are gone rebuild his old for a spare & now I have 2 more machines my buddies want me to "TUNE UP" their clutches. Easy fix really, so just wanted to THANK YOU for your input & videos. Much appriciated!
    Last edited by moos-a-boo; 10-04-2010 at 01:13 PM.

..............................my 50 foot cable was about 10 foot short,............................(Posted by moose-a-boo)

Murhpys law of winching; If you have 50 feet of cable on your winch, you will get stuck 51 feet from a good anchor point. If you increase that cable to 100 feet, you will get stuck 101 feet from a good anchor point. Therefore, it is a good idea to carry the extra (I keep 50 ft with hooks on ends) cable. And I carry a cable pinch so I can hook anywhere along the length of the cable when rigging if I have to.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff t-boss View Post
    ..............................my 50 foot cable was about 10 foot short,............................(Posted by moose-a-boo)

Murhpys law of winching; If you have 50 feet of cable on your winch, you will get stuck 51 feet from a good anchor point. If you increase that cable to 100 feet, you will get stuck 101 feet from a good anchor point. Therefore, it is a good idea to carry the extra (I keep 50 ft with hooks on ends) cable. And I carry a cable pinch so I can hook anywhere along the length of the cable when rigging if I have to.
    The joys of being outdoors, its the adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by moos-a-boo View Post
    By the way RD, I bought 2 new clutches this past spring, after running them this summer & after moose hunting, I modified the driven (tranny clutch) like you suggested, using the # 1 hole for the spring & this made an unbelievable difference in the performance! Turns on a dime in high gear, engine brakes down hill like you would not believe, in low gear! Made a new machine out it! I'll wait till the drive clutch starts to show some signs of weekening or next spring before adding a shim. I added a shim to the old driven clutch spring after cleaning it up & adding dry graphite, put it on my brother inlaws machine & now he won't give it back! sniffle sniffle, we are gone rebuild his old for a spare & now I have 2 more machines my buddies want me to "TUNE UP" their clutches. Easy fix really, so just wanted to THANK YOU for your input & videos. Much appriciated!
    Glad I could be of service

RD

+ Reply to Thread