Vintage Max Prototype

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vintage Max Prototype

coollllllllllllllllllll thanks for posting .

Jeff, from the looks of the frame it looks to be an early 70s model. the frame looks just like my 75 frame. my frame had idler spockets for chain tension. did you notice the ratchet style chain adjusters.

Tom, I see those rachet chain adjusters.....good observation. I'm not sure what years Recreatives used idlers compared to the rachet style sliders. I've owned many older Max II's.......one that was a 1971 had the ratchet style adjusters, and a 1970 that I had the idler sprockets. Now I want to go and try to solve this mystery.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

the only maxes ive seen with the idlers had 40chain to the front and rear axles and were usealy single cyl 2 cycles.... all of the big maxes ive seen (even my own 75 big max) had ratchet style adjusters. ill have to ask dan what year they switched to all 50 chain in the max 2 . but i thought the rule was if you had 50 chain from the factory you got ratcheting adjusters but than again that proto type has 40 chain and ratchiting adjusters????? hey_dan78 what do you know??????????
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

The belt driven transmission in the prototype sounds similar to the transmission used in the hoots.

Sorta reviving an old thread here, but I noticed something else odd on the age of it... It doesn't have the little recesses molded in the lower tub for the prototype props they were working on in the early years... And as far as the idlers, from the stuff I got Galen at Max ATV's to send me, the idler style was used up to serial number 3050, and all after got the ratchet style... Pretty dang neat design though, but replacing and rerouting those belts would probably be a nightmare!
    Last edited by brunpup; 01-06-2015 at 05:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread