Split shifter for a Max IV ??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Split shifter for a Max IV ??

Quote Originally Posted by Hogneck View Post
    Any thought or suggestions about doing a split shifter for a Max IV with factory rubber tracks. My main question would be; "would there be less stress mechanically and turn easier with a split shift using rubber tracks?" I would tend to think it would take less effort to not skid the tracks. BUT is it a pain in the arse to shift both levers all the time and inconvenient enough not to bother with the fabricating? I think I have more time on the wrench(by choice) than in the seat!!

The forum member brushcutter built a split shifter for my Max IV and it works great. Before I had my T-20 set up to split shift, I'd have to rock back and forth while working both sticks to get the T-20 to go from forward into reverse or reverse into forward. With the T-20 now set up to split shift, I put one stick into forward and a slight jiggle on the other stick, and it then goes into reverse. My T-20 goes into forward or reverse so easily now, that I would'nt even consider changing the shifting back to the factory set up. I now have the ability to skid steer or counter rotate if I choose to.

After Brushcutter made my split shifter we both drove down a very muddy trail. When I could,nt skid steer out of the mud I then tried split shifting the T-20 into forward and reverse so I could counter rotate and change lines in the mud. I then found out that this was a big mistake ,because the mud was too thick and I smoked the new clutch belt that I'd installed two months earlier. I have a 25 hp Kolier motor in my Max IV, but I've learned in some situations like this, that its not enough power to counter rotate when the mud is really thick. In light mud, leaves, and in the water a split shifter works a whole lot better than skid steering does.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 12-08-2011 at 02:45 PM.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Didn't you post some pics or a video of it Dave? Or was it both?
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Max IV split shifter

Has anyone put any thought into an electronic shift t-20? I'm thinking 2 actuators, one for each side, and an "easy"shift kit. A pair of switches on the dash or rigged to the sticks. Only problem I see is I haven't seen any 3 position actuators, so there may be no neutral.

Any thoughts???

jstout9 ...now you are reaching . What good would that be in the wet mud and snow at 0 degree f.? ......or below? Might just as well put a fluorescent twisty in there too. Yah I know I am sarcastic ,but an industrial electrician too at -30 below with plc's. plain and simple they do not like the cold .

and I don't like it too!

This is cool. I can deal with this. Thank You. Mud Bug.

This is way cool and clean !! I like this !

Mudbug , that how we know and learn the limitations of our maxchines!!

Well Mud bug ,...still trying to figure out this sight. ,..But I think you hit the nail on the head about shifting....!!!!...!!!
    Thanks for the help I will do a split shift just for this reason.. IT SHIFTS!!!

+ Reply to Thread