max II with 14 horse

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: max II with 14 horse

drew thanks again.....will let you no what happens

Was this Vanguard the original engine in the Max? If someone swapped it in from another piece of machinery the governor spring will be different and you'll have to call Recreatives to get the correct one for an AATV application. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511 Let us know what you figure out, we'll help you get to the bottom of it.

By the way, try checking the pulse line that goes from the engine to the fuel pump and make sure it's clean and there is no debris or cracks in it. I also wonder if the fuel pump is going bad. Did you try running it with the choke partly on when going up a hill?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I suspect you are only running on one cylinder. Pull both plugs and see if one is wet. A vanguard will pretty well on 1 with no load, but will act exactly like you are describing when you make it work
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

no it is the only motor,,and i will check all,,,,you guys are a life saver didnt thank to check plugs that makes loads of sence....just got the machine trying to get it going had to clean carbretor for time and fuel tank changed oil and filter machine has sat up in barn for about 5 years...

A quick check that I do is to start the engine cold and run it about 15 seconds. Be caerfull and touch the exaust header pipes just outside the head. The temp should pretty close,a cold one isnt running. If both are hot the governor could be way off. With the drive belt on, transmission in reverse you should be able to pull 3950-4050 rpm full throttle with a tacometer. Ive had machines that ran pretty good but only pulled 3400rpm with this test and were dogs when you work them. good luck that 14 should take you places very well if all is right
    PS thought of another thing. A dirty air filter will cause this also, usually get black smoke at heavy throtle.
    Last edited by msafi65; 04-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.

no luck with my 14hp vanguard

still cant get motor to pull up hill......changed filters lines clutch good belt good cleand carbretor ......lost guys thing getting the best of me also new plugs.....cant find the parts i need for the motor on line having hard time...
    Last edited by Mike; 04-20-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Merged two threads on the same topic

is the belt slipping or is the trans .

Up steep inclines the factory fuel pump won't keep up. Look at some o the threads about
    Electric fuel pump upgrades. Many of us have had to do so

belt works fine and so is the trans....what its doing is it just lugs out like the motor has no power motor is not reveing high to pull up hills motor revs high when in neutral but in gear losses power under load....it was put up for 4 years i bought it from a guy tank was full of trash lines and carb were to ive cleand them 4 times just not having any luck...

Not familiar with vanguard carbs, but some small engine carbs to clean properly you have to drill something inside, iknow its not much help but hooefully someone else will chime in that knows

+ Reply to Thread