A little swimming help?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A little swimming help?

Watched the vid and looked at the pics from moderater Mike about replacing axle bearings and sealing flanges-VERY informative. Feel better about tackling that job now.
    I may do that hydromike. Gotta get all these other bugs worked out first, then worry about the tire issue. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey, I found of the 'Chief wearing them from the 2007 Ledges ride! There's also a picture of me in that gallery floundering around in the water, just like you describe.[/QUOTE]

So THATS what I looked like floundering around in the water huh? I see you have all 6 turned correctly to swim. Still no forward motion huh?
    What tires did you go to?

Quote Originally Posted by ezryder View Post
    Watched the vid and looked at the pics from moderater Mike about replacing axle bearings and sealing flanges-VERY informative. Feel better about tackling that job now.

The video makes the bearing job look easy but I'm betting yours will be rusted all to heck and a booger to get apart so be prepared! Go ahead and start soaking things with kroil or blaster now, spray it every day, a lot, forever.

FWIW, and I know my Max has different tires, but it seems to make better progress with a slower tire speed, they kinda cavitate when they're spinning all crazy.

And take pictures, we like pictures!
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

So THATS what I looked like floundering around in the water huh? I see you have all 6 turned correctly to swim. Still no forward motion huh?
    The tires you have just won't swim, so your best bet is to search around the site and see what tire will work best for what you plan on doing most with the machine. If you want a good swimming tire, you'll want a 21x11x8 Goodyear Rawhide. If you want a very good mud tire that will also swim decent (but not as fast as the Goodyear Rawhide) I'd say go for the 22x11x8 GBC Gator (it's just like the Maxxis Mud Bug with tread that isn't as deep......the Mud Bug is a decent swimming tire). It all depends on what you want to do with the machine. Like I said, use the search feature at the top of the page and you'll see this discussion covered a lot here.

Here they are on ebay, but they can probably be had a good bit cheaper if you do some Google searching.

Yamaha YFS200 Blaster 88 00 GBC Gator Rear ATV Tire Size 22 11 00 8 | eBay
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thank you jpswift. Probably go with Gators or Mud Bugs. I'd like good mud tires that swim decent. Most driving will be on trails/creek bottoms. In and out of small creeks.

I ended up getting a set of 22x11-8 Rawhide IIIs when they were still available. They're nice tires, but they still don't swim that fast on the Chief for whatever reason. We had it down in the big lake at Busco in Fall 2010, and it did OK. I still have hopes that they'll bring the tire back into production one day, whether Titan makes a copy or whomever.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I had 22" rawhide III's on my 950 and they didn't swim at all-at any speed- went to the 25"mudbugs and they did a little better, but neither one ever swam as fast as Boncrshrs seemed to with 25" vampires. If I had it to do again, I would get the vampires, hands down. They swam good on his and were good mud tires also. My opinion is that the tub design(bump) on Hustlers are highly detrimental to swimming, as far as I know most other machines have an "open" channeled bottom on them, and that allows for better flow. I have long believed that if you had 2 machines that were as identically setup as possible and each had the same tires, the open channel design would out swim the Hustler due to tub design alone. Hustlers are not known to be the fastest of swimmers so don't expect too much.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

If your up for it it may help to just cut the knobby out of the tires leaving just the bars, could help those tires swim a little better just by disrupting less water( or moving more water,( bigger oar) ).

May try that Jim. You're the 2nd person to tell me that.

Ok so I guess the next logical question is how many Hustler 950 owners will check in here and let me know in your experience, what is the best swimming tire specifically for this machine?

+ Reply to Thread