Not your Father's riding mower

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not your Father's riding mower

Another short one, an Ontario guy who builds Vanguards for rpm. As in 10,000

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Qualifying.flv

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Allright, who dubbed the Daytona audio over their lawnmower vids? LOL!

My question is how durable is an engine that is tricked out like this? If these motors will last as long as a "stock" engine, then it would definately be worth looking into, You gotta love the sound of this thing!

This particular guy is an rpm fanatic. That means 23 heads even on a 14 hp block. Other guys like the lower rpm torque of the smaller 14-20 heads due to port velocity. With my 1100 lb woods crawling argo, I've resigned myself to making power at 3-4 grand and not exceding 5 or 6. With a CVT you have to pick an operating rpm and live with it. If you're going over that, you need a billet flywheel and roller rockers at a minimum.

The stock vanguard crankshaft and pistons will handle any rpm you can turn. The guys that rev to 8-10000 will break occasionally.. a valve seat comes loose, drop valve, break a roller rocker. If built right, a vanguard turning 5 or 6 is as solid and long lasting as a high revving japanese bike.

They also modify and run briggs flathead twins. No one makes a billet rod for it, so that limits rpm. But they are torque engines anyway. One guy machines stock rods and the crank for bearing inserts. There's about 3 different rod lengths and pistons that they use to up the compression. Porting, exhaust and other stuff makes them pretty potent. Is it worth it rather than swap in a vanguard? I don't know. If you love flat twins it could be. How many of these aatv engines are pressure lubed? That's preferable to start with.
    Last edited by Roger S; 02-08-2009 at 01:40 PM.

I think this is the little blue machine, under the hood. Anyone for a 4 stroke conversion? you can even use the two stroke clutch that engages at 5 grand. And I thought Whipper's headers were big.. I expect him to message me so he can order one of these.. err, George wanted a Vanguard didn't he?

http://www.rykerracing.ca/bigpics/pr...header4973.jpg

Edit: Well, I don't think thats the same blue car, but he does make the header.
    Last edited by Roger S; 02-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    Allright, who dubbed the Daytona audio over their lawnmower vids? LOL!

My question is how durable is an engine that is tricked out like this? If these motors will last as long as a "stock" engine, then it would definately be worth looking into, You gotta love the sound of this thing!
    REALLY! I never heard a 4-cylinder Japanese car sound that good!

Really, no motor thats modified for high performance will last as long as the stocker, as everything is stressed so much more, but if it's built well and not pushed to the limit it may go for a good portion of the lifespan. (Mild mods make very little or no difference, I'm talking serious stuff like on the video) If there is a weak point in the motor not addressed, thats when you blow stuff real often
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

I know this thread isn't aatv, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know this basic vanguard is shared with most max and argos. I want a max II with this engine

Heat Race, moving up from last place:

http://s41.photobucket.com/player.sw...fs=1&os=1&ap=1

For those of us who like the sound of performance briggs.. an encore of the little blue machine. This is a 14/16 hp vanguard. He prefers the little short stroke engine.. turns 10,000 rpm easier.

Another one for us armchair racers. This is Jason Mikula from Michigan. Jason is the kawasaki man in lawn mower racing. He and his Dad have a power equipment business, I think north of Grand Rapids. Helmet cam is a Go Pro Hero and his engine is a kaw twin air cooled.

To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Here's a typical vanguard build, valvetrain, billet rods. A little more cam than mine. Think it needs a two stroke clutch and set down into a max II. Also has a billet lightweight flywheel.. safe, and allows revs to climb and fall quickly.

To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

You can really hear the cam lope in the engine. Sounds sweet! It also revs out nice and smooth too.

+ Reply to Thread