Chain Tensioner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chain Tensioner

This is happening to me too. The middle chain is very tight and its adjuster is uneven on either side of the chain. One snail type adjuster is on step one and the other is jammed up on step two. The chain is pushing it firmly that you cant lower the high adjuster down to the same step 1 like the other . I guess in time it will stretch so the other adjuster comes up to the same level.
    The only fix I can see is to take off the chain so there is no tension on the adjuster to be able to reset it.. but who knows...hopefully someone cause I'm thinking if you did all that to loosen the chain..as soon as you got it all back together and started to drive it would go back up that one step cause it is just how they wear and move to the next step..one at a time on each side of the adjuster..but this unevenness causes it to stay tight and the adjuster doesnt seem to budge a hair...does anyone know anymore about this..mine has 145 hours on it .

Lift the machine up off the ground and supported by blocks or by jacks, then roll the tires on one side back and forth to remove the slack or over tightness, once done then you should be able to manipulate that adjuster that is uneven on the chain. Once you grab it you can move it up or down to go into the proper position. No big deal, the adjusters do get off position occasionally. That should take care of the problem.

Thanks noel, I'll try that out !

Raised argo,turned wheels, still the chain was too tight to budge the adjuster. Had newly made/ground vise grips with me..easily got the master link out of chain and then the adjuster was easy to reset. But now I need a new master link clip..but you have to buy the whole link assembly. No big deal but I'm not sure to order a #60 or number 60h (heavy duty).I'd post a pic but cant figure out how to
    Does anyone know?

It should be a regular #60 master link unless someone changed to 60H. Either way it is wise to have extra master links with you as this is where the chain typically breaks. Master links are cheap enough.
    I gave vice grips up long ago. I got a Tusk brand coil spring tensioner that works perfectly for #60 and 60h chain. I just connect the Tusk tensioner to the top of the chain and use a wrench to tighten it. It also works when the chain is too tight like you ran into, it can get enough slack to pull the master link it just has to be set further back on the chain. For folks with #50 chain the same tool works if you grind the width of the teeth down to fit the narrower space of #50 chain.

+ Reply to Thread