Charging system: Stock vs alternator kit

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charging system: Stock vs alternator kit

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    I suspect that a loose battery terminal caused arcing, which led to the failure. Initially the failure was intermittent, but became steady in a short time. We did find the loose terminal, and thought that would fix it, but the failure was complete by that time. All other connections and the belt were just fine. Because of the failure, I ordered 2 extra belts just in case. We also thought the high amount of dust could have damaged the brushes. Those Beaver Dam tracks are wonderful, but do throw a lot of rocks and dust in dry environments.

Steve
    Weird, never know with electronics, they are pretty sensitive and unreliable. How do you plan to replace it? It seems easier to pull the motor then to crawl around underneath... I've installed 2 so far, pulling the motor is easy, just more of a pain if you have a heater with the coolant mess. I have a spare belt I keep as well, let us know how the new unit works!

I will. Fortunately I have become good friends with my Argo dealer, and he is teaching me a lot about what to look for, and how to fix things. He said something about removing something above the alternator, but I'm not sure yet. I have also had trouble with the dual windshield wipers. Either the spring is too strong or too weak. I found replacements on Amazon that are designed for polycarbonate windows. This weekend is for building a new computer, so maybe next weekend I will be able to work on the Argo.

Steve

I have the alternator kit, and a lot of accessories. Last week I was at an ATV festival, and had my alternator fail. I have been running on the magneto since, but although the alternator from Argo, is expensive, Amazon sells the same one for $70. Later I will post a link to the Amazon one.
    Steve, can you please post or PM/Email the Amazon number for the alternator? Thanks!

Sorry it took so long. I just built a new computer, and have been very busy. Here is the Amazon link for the alternator..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve

Sorry it took so long. I just built a new computer, and have been very busy. Here is the Amazon link for the alternator..

Steve
    Thanks for the reply Steve I really appreciate it. Did you use this one on your Argo?
    Did you fab your own mounts/wiring or use their parts? Thanks again.

That is the replacement for the one that failed. I ordered my Argo with the alternator, so I originally paid full price. When it failed, the Argo dealer sat with me, and after a search decided the one I linked to was an exact replacement. I still have not had time to install it yet.

Steve

That is the replacement for the one that failed. I ordered my Argo with the alternator, so I originally paid full price. When it failed, the Argo dealer sat with me, and after a search decided the one I linked to was an exact replacement. I still have not had time to install it yet.

Steve
    Thank you Steve. I appreciate the info!!

Amazon will only ship this part to the USA, to bad we are unable to get it here in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
    Amazon will only ship this part to the USA, to bad we are unable to get it here in Canada
    You could try ordering direct from the supplier listed on Amazon. Or take the part number and cross-reference it by application and then look locally. Shouldn't be a problem.

Steve
    I have a 2003 Conquest with the 20hp Kawasaki, would this work for me? I want to get the alternator assembly for my Argo, but it’s discontinued. My rig can’t keep up even with winching. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread