geo metro engine help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: geo metro engine help

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    Hi guys! I still do lurk.

You need an engine management system- absent activating the injectors it is responsible for telling the coil when to make spark, and this also involves spark and therefor timing advance. I believe you could jerry rig something, but there is no way it will ever run at a satisfactory level. If you want to, you could adapt a "micro squirt" box and shoe horn in the wiring, but it may or may not work. I learned ALOT from the guys at Geo Metro Forum.

What you need for a G-10 motor swap:

Running engine (try to find a car that runs with a blown trans. Once you start asking around, seems like there is one or two some place.)
    Wiring harness
    ECM
    transmission from the car- so you can cut the bell housing to mount the starter.
    Inline Fuel pump- if it s throttle body injection it will need 40 PSI- i forget the napa part number
    Relay for starter (napa)
    relay for fuel pump (napa)
    Return fuel line if it is fuel injected
    radiator, and radiator and radiator fan
    clutch
    clutch adaptor to the motor.

4 "pucks" snow mobile style for motor mounts
    fabrication skills to mount the motor

The reason IMHO to plant a G-10 in an AATV is because it is a cost effective means to get a reliable fuel injected power plant that is four stroke. If you want something that is turn key ready to rock, look at any 340 or 440 fan cooled snow mobile engine (hopefully with electric start)- WITH the ecm and coils and clutch (you should be able to source a complete 1990-2000 sled for $500 and put a top end in it for 300). Just jet it for your temperature and altitude and have a blast... this elimantes the electric fuel pump and radiator and a TON of electric nonsense.
    Fantastic post!!!

I'm going to mount a standard assembled Megasquirt II 3.0 board under the dash of my Max sometime after I do the re-wire to start watching RPM, mass air flow, etc signals so when I eventually put an injector to it I'll have good data. Back on point, the Microsquirt box is effectively a better sealed smaller version of the Megasquirt II. You have to have some wiring aptitude, but I've stuck these things in a '67 Thunderbird, '69 Firebird and a '77 Skylark, so I'm very comfortable wiring and plumbing these type of things in, but it's a steep learning curve for the first one. There is something nice about going with the minimalist approach though too! All depends on your goals and patience.

I can't wait to see it! Those guys on that geo metro forum, from what I understand, love the mega and micro squirt boxes- they get nutso mpg out of the geo!
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

+ Reply to Thread