so... you think you're greasing your bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: so... you think you're greasing your bearings

Smile seals,,,

On sperry rand wedges, there is a large "O" ring seal , as well as 2 thick rubber gaskets... i replace the gaskets with old Army truck inner tube pieces,,,,, works very well too

Hey Mike,

Thanks again for the pics and that article....I followed it to the letter and have yet to have any water coming in, and this is after quite a bit of hard use.....

BTW, where do ya'll buy your new flanges?? Is Recreatives the best source for these?? The flanges I have now must be shoddy because I have two zerk fittings that just pulled free....
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Smile flanges

Almost any hardware store or bearing place should have them. for me , it's Worth W Smith hardware, in olean, ny They even have the double studded rubber motor mounts for 3.99 each, any size too.....

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    Hey Mike,

Thanks again for the pics and that article....I followed it to the letter and have yet to have any water coming in, and this is after quite a bit of hard use.....

BTW, where do ya'll buy your new flanges?? Is Recreatives the best source for these?? The flanges I have now must be shoddy because I have two zerk fittings that just pulled free....

I got my flanges with grease fittings from Buffalo Bearing.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've been working on a friends MaxII this week. I pulled the tires to grease the bearings and like most machines, when I put the grease into the fitting, it went all of 1/4 inch and came out on the outside of the bearing. So I pulled all the outer flanges and used a needle fitting to suirt grease directly into the bearing and push out the old grease and water, turning the axle 1/4 turn then grease, 1/4 turn then grease. It only takes about 15 minutes per axle and I'm sure the bearings are well greased.
    I'm also in the habit of pre-greasing the bearing with the needle fitting before installation. You'd be surprosed the lack of grease in a brand new bearing.

+ Reply to Thread