Mighty Max's new 650 Argo 650 HD with swimming tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Max's new 650 Argo 650 HD with swimming tracks

As, always...great video Dan. Looks like everybody had a blast. I'm glad to see the grandsons are getting into the sport too, I enjoy the fact that there will be two more enthusiasts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Have a great time Bud, you have the ideal machine for duck hunting, I wish you could post a little video of the beautiful Frontier of yours.
    We knocked a few ducks and geese down, but I didn't bring a video camera.

The only shots that I know of are on Brandon's web page. StJoe6411

I need to get a current video posted. You certainly set the bar high on quality videos!

After a year of service and almost seventy hours on my machine the Argo has proven to be almost bullet proof. My only maintence has been changing the oil in the engine and transmission, lubricating the chains and greasing the bearings and fittings.
    The 24" swimmer tires still look new and my tracks are showing very little wear and tear after running them through the worse swamp, mud and trail conditions I could find. More 70% of this machines life has been spent in bad mud or swamp conditions. My Suzuki Vinson with Tatou tracks died a slow death trying to stay with the Argo and was finally sold about a month and a half ago.
    I can tell from the tone of the exhaust that a lot of the packing installed at the factory to keep the machine quite has burned away and the machine now has a very nice growl on the trail.
    All of the heat issues in the engine caused by the restrictive exhaust have been resolved with time and use of marine fuel and marine fuel additves which I highly recommend for anyone with a late model air cooled briggs with the very restrictive exhaust and emissions equipment.
    The learning curve on the Admiral transmission is almost complete and I have really learned to enjoy the smooth operation and reliability under the extreme conditions have I run this machine in. This is still the only machine I have seen that can be steered in very bad mud with out getting stuck or dug in on one side.
    I am still not completely happy with the counter rotation system Argo employs in low range but it has a good place in watery mud and other places where you need more control over the machine or a quick turn on a trail where there is simply no room for a normal turn. The 23 horse Briggs has turned out to be a fine reliable power plant.

To anyone buying a new Argo with an air cooled engine I offer the following advice, use marine fuel or marine fuel aditives from the day you get the machine.

Pertaining to owners with an admiral transmission, the clicking and popping noise is a natural part of the operation of this transmission, if you watch the video I posted on the admiral you will understand what these noises are and understand that this is just a part of the operation of the triple differential system.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 11-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Been watching and reading your thread with great interest,those tracks are amazing I have been looking at updating my old tracks looks to me like my mind is made up,the real issue here is I told myself when I bought the Avenger and paid large that this was the last one,but reading all of this I say maybe I spoke too soon,never say never your impressions of the new Admiral trans makes me scratch my head,the Argo trans has always needed huge improvement, in my opinion only, and it seems it has been addressed may have too spend some more of the kids inheritance.NCT

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    After a year of service and almost seventy hours on my machine the Argo has proven to be almost bullet proof. My only maintence has been changing the oil in the engine and transmission, lubricating the chains and greasing the bearings and fittings.
    The 24" swimmer tires still look new and my tracks are showing very little wear and tear after running them through the worse swamp, mud and trail conditions I could find. More 70% of this machines life has been spent in bad mud or swamp conditions. My Suzuki Vinson with Tatou tracks died a slow death trying to stay with the Argo and was finally sold about a month and a half ago.
    I can tell from the tone of the exhaust that a lot of the packing installed at the factory to keep the machine quite has burned away and the machine now has a very nice growl on the trail.
    All of the heat issues in the engine caused by the restrictive exhaust have been resolved with time and use of marine fuel and marine fuel additves which I highly recommend for anyone with a late model air cooled briggs with the very restrictive exhaust and emissions equipment.
    The learning curve on the Admiral transmission is almost complete and I have really learned to enjoy the smooth operation and reliability under the extreme conditions have I run this machine in. This is still the only machine I have seen that can be steered in very bad mud with out getting stuck or dug in on one side.
    I am still not completely happy with the counter rotation system Argo employs in low range but it has a good place in watery mud and other places where you need more control over the machine or a quick turn on a trail where there is simply no room for a normal turn. The 23 horse Briggs has turned out to be a fine reliable power plant.

To anyone buying a new Argo with an air cooled engine I offer the following advice, use marine fuel or marine fuel aditives from the day you get the machine.

Pertaining to owners with an admiral transmission, the clicking and popping noise is a natural part of the operation of this transmission, if you watch the video I posted on the admiral you will understand what these noises are and understand that this is just a part of the operation of the triple differential system in operation.
    Dan: what marine additives are you using?

Thanks,

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    Dan: what marine additives are you using?

Thanks,

Bud
    Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment recommended by another forum member, my engine has run like a top since I have been using marine fuel and/or this additive.

Congratulation's on the geese and ducks Bud, I hope your friends are impressed by your machine!

After reading so many great testimonials about the Star-tron, enzyme fuel treatment I decided to buy some for myself. After running my Argo Frontier all weekend long in very thick pudding mud 50 % of the time my Argo did seem to run a little bit better. When I fabricated a custom air intake to draw cooler air into the engine, and also installed a muffer off of a 2008 Argo Frontier that has less restriction, the popping and sputtering has now stopped when ever the engine gets really hot. The exhaust now has a deeper tone as well. The black soot inside of the exhaust tube is now gone, and is looking like its supposed to look.

These are some testimonials from people who have tried the Star-Tron ,enzyme fuel treatment.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - TESTIMONIALS

RD's awful weather and the video he just posted inspired me to get out and enjoy some very good (warm) weather here in Savannah. I had no intention of taking any video today but the mud conditions were so excellent that I just couldn't help but do a little filming. Today was a good day for modified machines and there were a lot of well set up quads at the park and some of them braved the swamp conditions at the rear of the park. It was quite enjoyable watching the four wheelers do their level best to go into some of these very extreme areas. The mud conditions were so good that I ventured into areas where I had to brave branches, limbs and fallen trees in the swamp areas but nothing would deter me today and I ran my machine into some of the Nastiest mud and swamp areas ever. Under normal conditions I wouldn't venture back in to these areas but my machine was running so well and just seemed to be saying-DO IT DAN, DO IT!~I had a absolute blast and the Argo performed just flawlessly. ATTACHED ARE JUST A FEW CLIPS OF A VERY ENJOYABLE DAY.

That was a great vid, just what I needed. There are not many people in the world that can say they covered that kind of ground just for fun.
    There was some nasty clay, but I liked the unexplored areas best.

I just came in from the neighbors back sliding hill, spent the last couple hrs hauling kids up the hill. The Argo ran well, and the tracks really bite into the snow. Cold out though, -25C or so and it's snowing like crazy.

RD

Rock Doctor

Those Adair tracks sure look good on your Argo 8x8. I can't wait to watch some video's of you pulling out your friends stuck in the mud with tires and you then driving through the exact same spot that you pulled them out of. You'll be amazed at the places that you can now go with no problem that was such a big struggle with tires before.

+ Reply to Thread