Old Springer Cleanup

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Springer Cleanup

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Not very good news. The new crank seals came in for the Sachs 440on Friday and tonight I pulled the old seals. The Bearings are loaded up wit crusty varnish. The only option is to pull the crank and have it rebuilt. That ain't gonna happen between now and Ashtabula. I always can put in the G50B and "put put" around the track.

Put the G50B in.

What the heck!!!!! When you design an old school springer you need a carpenters level (broken), a yard stick a keg of beer and your buddies with all different opinions. This design is a disaster intended to bottom out often. The geometry takes very little advantage of the shock other than a short telescoping spring. I can see the simplicity of the design but it is full of compromises. Sorry but it's going under the knife.

Looks like it's going to take an awful lot of beer to straighten that mess out.

Whipper

Hey JBF, I wonder if these wheel spacers would push the tires out far enough away from the shocks.

eBay Motors: 2 WHEELS SPACERS 1/2 5X4.5 5X4.75 FOR MUSTANG Z28 602XL (item 350184176236 end time May-27-09 08:49:55 PDT)
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

What's the wheel base JBF (as it stands now)?
    Banned

Question

JBF, my condolences. But i am sure you will figure it out.

The scary part is this rig has seen some action. Spacing the tires out helps in clearing the shocks but the machine will definitely bottom out on the pan before you use up the suspension travel. What it needs is reposition the shocks and add more spring force. At the speed the u joints run we can probably go 15 deg above and below the horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Looks like it's going to take an awful lot of beer to straighten that mess out.

Whipper
    Maybe if i fill the air shocks with beer
    Hey that works out to a 6 pack. Probably need those big Australian cans.
    Last edited by jerseybigfoot; 04-29-2009 at 12:10 AM.

I guess it's not going to be at Ashtabula?

Could you add another shock, at least on the four corners?

+ Reply to Thread