A little swimming help?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A little swimming help?

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks jp. I'm now on "the list". Glad to know theres lots of Hustlers out there.
    Still curious to know what experience the Hustler owners have with the best swimming tire. I've searched and read lots of threads, but not found one that covers swimming tires on Hustlers in particular, and 950's in particular. And as someone previously stated, swimming tires perform differently for different machines.

I hesitate to start another thread (don't wanna be a thread whore) with so much info already out there. I'll keep looking and learning. I'm sure there must be info I haven't seen yet.

I'm not expecting a lot, just want to be able to move in direction of my choice without thrashing around like a wounded turtle at the mercy of the wind. (Also wanna grin at the 4x4 ATV's sitting on dry ground in awe of my awesome swimming ability!)

Quote Originally Posted by ezryder View Post
    I'm sure there must be info I haven't seen yet.
    I look at tires a LOT, mostly just for fun and to see if there are bargains out there. I often think I've found a cool tire that'll be a little different, or that hasn't been discussed at all but it's at that point that I'll type the name of the tire and "Hustler" in the search box. There are so many (SO many) different discussions that I won't even post the dozens that pop up. Since a lot of threads invariably turn to some discussion about the Vampire tires, type in "Hustler Vampire ASX", and you'll get a ton of thread links that discuss a multitude of tires that swim and don't swim.

Here is a link to look at. I havent seen anyone post it yet.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...wim-great.html

According to the chart the Rawhides will out swim the At189 tires. In reality the AT189 tires will out swim the Rawhide. Not wanting to step on any ones toes or start a tires war. Best i could do with the rawhides was 1.9mph. At189 speed was 3.9mph. The AT 189 is a great all around tire.....but they are a little pricey. This i will admit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    According to the chart the Rawhides will out swim the At189 tires. In reality the AT189 tires will out swim the Rawhide. Not wanting to step on any ones toes or start a tires war. Best i could do with the rawhides was 1.9mph. At189 speed was 3.9mph. The AT 189 is a great all around tire.....but they are a little pricey. This i will admit.
    I don't know Lewis. Your ride swims pretty fast, and I never clocked my Attex in the water. I wish I remembered if Jersey Bigfoot has the 189's on his argo. I remember racing him in the water with my Attex last time I went to Busco. He was quick, but I was sitting on my front end and I went faster with my 21" Rawhide I's. There are so many variables, to water speed, I don't think you can say one tire or another is the fastest water tire for our machines. I think if we tested all the swimming tires on all the different machines, we would find that the tire that swims the fastest on machine A is not always the tire that swims the fastest on machine B.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I can add what I know.. I have an Argo Conquest 8x8. When I first got it, it had 8 rawhide III 22" tires on it. It swam ok with about 2/3 throttle. I upgraded it to 8 AT-189 24" tires. It swims much faster now with 1/3 throttle. Lewis' avenger is a fast swimmer naturally because the rear axles are a bit higher up in the water and those tires move it much like a paddle wheel boat.

If we are talking about the Maxgo they were Rawhide 3's. The test i was referring to was the one we did for Argo with my 2006. All conditions same with my machine(2006) same weight, same machine, same pond. I had Rawhide 3's on first and used a GPS to acquire water speeds. Then changed to the AT189 tire. Under the same conditions the results were AT189: 3.9 Rawhide 3 tires: 1.9 . You are right different machines may move faster due to hull configuration, etc. But with the tests that i was involved with with the Argo Avenger this was the results. They are a pretty good mud tire also. It is not all in the speed but the control in the water also and they seem to control very well also.

But the fastest tire i have seen and this is my opinion from all the rides and water, are the tires that are put on the Max IV machines. They scream through the water. Robbie and Lance fly in the water.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

Marc was not driving the Maxgo he was in his Bigfoot. Like I say though, I don't know if he has 189's or runamuks on it. We were both cooking through the water though. I also agree about the 26x12x12 terra tires. Those things are real quick. I haven't had a chance to take mine for a good swim yet, but thats why I put them on my Max IV.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread