Dan67's Hustler 950 Rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan67's Hustler 950 Rebuild

that's what I'm talkin' about Dan, great pics of the shifter set up....gives me a few more ideas about this cabled cr@p that is stock in this buggy...since I recently blew the 440 that was in it, it is a great time for some new mods...if only this heat wave would cooperate

I'm hoping to pick it up from the fabricators tomorrow after work. Got half the body band done before the guy working on mine got pulled off to a higher priority job..

I got it home today, it is over budget so I had to stop off short. The rear bumper and tires will have to wait a bit longer, maybe after Christmas. I really like the way they did the body band. Cut and bent flat stock for the corner sides and cut out the top from plate steel and welded it as 1 piece, then welded to the long 1.5" angle steel. The front bumper is really beefy, mounts to the body band and to the front band supports, Allot like the stock bumper but mounted to steel on the inside and not just to the body. I'll post some pictures tomorrow after work. Tomorrow will be the second disassemble before repainting all the metal. Thinking of seeing if I can get a hunter green.

Sounds like a government job Dan...but don't be down, all builds wind up that way. We always like to figure on the low side....it's a justification thing. Keep plugging, your doing well.

Paint Time

I picked up some primer and paint the other day and I wanted to start Saturday afternoon, but mother nature had plans for rain instead. I started with cleaning the front bumper then painting it primer white. I'll get it finished first and then proceed next to the body band followed by the frame last.

I know your money frustrations...my $500 engine swap is looking more like $1500-2000, which is why there has been null progress... Looking great so far!
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Spent some quality daddy-daughter time painting the front bumper "Hunter Green" this evening. I know she was getting bored but she stuck it out. I enjoyed her company very much.

Another evening of painting completed. Body band is now primed. Even late at night its still dang hot.

I finished painting the body band and decided to take an evening to relax. Started back this evening and got the body apart, then noticed a problem. The guy who was going to cut out the lower body for me screwed up big time. I told him how I wanted him to cut the lower lip and he failed me. He cut way too much off the lower tub lip. I told him several times and he replied he completely understood how I wanted it cut.. he cut the lower lip down to 3/4", its too short now and none of the body bolts are right. Only way I can think to fix it is to go and plastic weld a 5/16" strip back onto the lip to what it should be. Any advice guys? I can never win a battle, maybe I'll be able to win the war. But the way things look now, it might be next April before I can have fun in it.

Dan

I'd just use a wider piece of steel on the body as a lower body band and clamp the body between steel. Maybe run some blind rivets through the lower body band to hold the lower tub

+ Reply to Thread