Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

Hold the party outside!!!!!! you're losing TWO weeks. Kids understand the importance of a machine more than some moms.Sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Look for a salisbury clutch, since comets are VERY over priced since they went out of business.

i got my eyes set on a couple i wanna do research on..thankx frabbit..i like your idea of havin party outside, however..if i do that, i think ill end up having to sleep in the garage..lol, i wouldnt mind...but its chilly out there! hahahaha

-WagZ-
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Well, my Comet, 94c Duster came today, Tomorrow ill call the machine shop and have them maek me a spacer. Sadly, my spacers i had weren't upto my liking...so..ill have one made.. Oh well. haha Ill get some new keystock at work tomorrow if i remember, and aint to busy.. (12 hour days lately, rebuilding alot of the equipment..alot of it is at the 10k hour mark..and due for major overhauls!) One nice thing about buying a new clutch is the instructions that come with them.. I NEVER knew EXACTLY what was inside some of the larger clutches, cuz i never had one apart. ive seen the little baby clutchs that are on belt driven scooters ( used to own a honda spree..so go ahead...laugh all you want..but atleast it was a honda! lol) Very similar in all honesty, just bigger and alot more tunable. i was reading about all the different set up's and "Tune's" that you can do with them, and wow..about endless really!

As for exhaust..yah..uhh...still didnt do that just yet..wish i could go "SEE" some of the ones im interested in so i knew if i could adapt them to work like i want them too, but sadly, i dont know of anywhere local that carries Vanguard Exhaust..lol however, maybe someone on here can help if i post a picture of it?..

Here is the muffler i WANT to adapt for my likings... Muffler 1.. Now..my plan with THIS muffler is to Shorten the strait sections, Thus, making it "Lower". Once i've achieved Proper altitude that i want, i then planed to Plumb it into the existing FACTORY can that exits the side of the machine. HOWEVER..if i DO decide to make tracks for my attex at some point and time, i will be kind of up creek without a paddle..know what i mean?..

My second option is this one.. Muffler 2.. With this one, i would also shorten the strait sections to achieve my ideal altitude, and then just plumb it out the back or something...then remove the factory can, and patch up mah hole!..thus allowing future use of tracks.. (if i ever get around to it..)

What do yinz think..them strait sections look Strait enough to cut/remove/ re-weld them to yinz? or are they angled and im not seeing it?

Let me know guys!

-WagZ-

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

Hey wags check your links. They both go to the muffler i got on mine now. I like it, but if you dont cut the tubes and re-weld it so the exhaust exits the back of the machine, you will burn your head.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Motor is out guys....the "un-Build" is taking place now...and the "Re-build" will start in a few days id imagine.. Woo! Very excited. Pictures to come also..so heads up!

-WagZ-

Well, Motor is out, Trans it out, and drained. Think i've got a hernia now too from pickin up the drivetrain and powerhouse by myself.. (im just a little guy..) Trans was bout a quart over full..but no big deal i guess.. When i refill, it'll get that awesome GM Trans Case fluid with the fancy additive. as for motor mount..looks like ill be able to use the original mount, with a little fabricating it. The motor will obviously stick up N out a bit, but no big deal..i tend to do a little "engine cover" re-designing like ive seen done here. but..thats down the road a few weeks..ive got plenty to do till that will be done. i did snap pictures, but im beat..and i need to sleep cuz tomorrow is the boys party. next on the list is to pressure wash the inside of the tub, and then flip it over for body repairing and skid plate fabbing..

Couple Pictures for yinz guys! (Go steelers..)

This one is what i like to call, "Attex upside down cake"..

20110925165211.jpg

Check out this ole wascally wabbit! Now its a paper weight! haha

20110924160842.jpg

Here's my oddball left over trans for the chief..guess they aint sposed to have dual disc brakes?

Attachment 7444

This is a dimple/small hole ill be dealing with..most of my cracks N stuff are small, i do have one on the side thats about 4 inches long..i spot drilled it and applied a thin coat of abs goo on it tonight. infact, ALL the holes, cracks, gouges, have abs goo on them as of tonight..

20110925165229.jpg

And this diry ole (..censored..) is my biggest problem. lol Its already spot drilled, one of P.O.'s sealed it up kinda good..but didnt use enough of what ever they used... The Black stuff...is on there REALLLY GOOOOOD!! but...its also got Fiberglass shreds alllll through it...like, FULL OF FIBERGLASS! i removed it because it had worn away on the "lowest" part of the tub, and started to leak.. Leaked in water VERY slowly, and leaked out oil/grease that had built up inside the tub. (which is no longer in there...i pressure washed in inside of it this morning..) anyhow, this one also has goo on it, a thin light coat, very thin..as in, barely any on it..i can still see yellow streaks through it..

Attachment 7443

no pictures we're taken of the goo after applied. figured wtf...ya'll have seen it by now. haha. Trans drained all night long, and thsi morning i pluged up the vent with a SOLID PLUG and installed the drain plug/fill line hole with its plug, i then scrubbed/degreased the trans and set it on the fire pit to dry this morning. It will be refilled with that fancy transfercase fluid that GM makes.

Once the GOO is done and im happy with my results, ill then start my skid plate.. Of all the tasks in this rebuild...the "Goo-ing" and the Skid plate seem to be the 2 that i feel "leeriest" about.. Why you ask?...mainly cuz i never did either before, or anything similar. The skid plate is like..number 2 on the "Oh i think i can" list.. Number 1 is the goo..from what ive read, this **** is picky..and i did it the way one of the members told me to..we communicate alot and he has helped me out alot on ****. but so far, i think i'll be ok. Main thing is NOT to RUSH the abs goo from what he said, and from what ive read. so slow and steady it will be!

As for an "Extra" that i want to look into..i wanna get a bilge pump setup..JUST to be extra safe incase i do take on any substantial amount of water while crossing creeks N such. Rather be safe..than sunk!

Thas bout it for now on the rebuild..ill keep everyone upto speed!

-WagZ-

ok so in garage now..this skid plate is really makin me mad..im ready to melt it into a blob n throw it at the next car that passes. Who has made one? have any tips to lend? im trying to search now for ppl who have made em.. Let me know please guys. thanks in advance..

-WagZ-

Well guys..the skid plate aint lookin so great. lol..so...i took a break from that. on the other hand, the motor is IN! now i need to order a belt. The exhaust manifold is on its way also. All the Factory Wiring was used in the swap, i used my DVOM to determine where i'd have to land each wire and what it did. (IF anyone intends on doing a 4 stroke swap, and cannot find, or figure out what color wire goes where from the factory harness, ill be more than glad to inform you where each wire goes!) Also, both factory cables we're used for choke, and throttle. Throttle need the least amt of modification. i just had to cut the little lead end off that went into carb. Choke cable i had to expose a little bit more of the cable and then using threaded end, clamp it down as not to smash the cable itself. The motor mount, well..all i did was welt a piece of plate onto the existing 2stroke mount, and then brace it, and drill mounting holes. Properly aligned with the clutch, and TADAH, im in business...now...of course ill have engine cover issues, however..i DO intend on modifying it as well...i seen one of the ever so popular attex members who made a nice big FLAT spot with some sheet metal and a little bit of creativity, thus allowing beverage holding, etc etc. (i think it was a bud light?..) lol so..i was gonna fire it tonight, but 2 things stopped me, well, 3 really, no exhuast, but a quick run wouldnt have hurt. i also did not have fuel for it, and i found out my baattery was dead..dam! lol anyhow, sadly, i did not get any pictures of what i just mentioned..why you ask? i was caught up in the moment! having fun and doing what i do best.....Doing alot with very little, and gettin the job done! lol

great project, keep posting the update !!
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread