Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mudd Ox questions/Mudd Ox answers

I did indeed receive your PM but I need an exact tooth count as there is only a 2 or three tooth difference between high and low.

Alright, sounds good. I'll get a more precise count. It's going to take a little more hoop jumping to get an exact number. From the information I have gleaned from another owner so far, it appears that on the high gearing the inner sprocket has a tooth count of 16, (same as the outer sprockets on that axle and the sprockets on all the other axels). I'm starting to think I may have the wrong gearing installed, because my inner sprockets are definitely larger in circumference than the outers, and at first count appear to have a count of approx. 22, (plus or minus).

Hancock

I've confirmed the high gearing inner sprocket to be 16 teeth, (thanks Wayne)!! Mine is now confirmed accurately at 21 teeth on the inner, so at this point I am assuming that means it has the low gearing. Travis, you can back this up or dispel it based on what information you have to provide.

thanks guys for the time and effort
    Hancock

You definately have the low gearing and this is consistent with your GPS top speed. We have both high and low geared machines and high geared machines average 20-21 mph top speed in normal conditions 2-3 psi tire pressure and dirt. They may achieve 22-24 on pavement and higher tire pressures. If you want the higher speeds yuo can chage the gears, it is not to hard of a job to do. this may also help with your heat issues as the maxed out engine and hydrualic pump useage to try and get the higher speed you want will certainly raise all the temps. You have my number and feel free to call me if I can be of any help
    Mark

Thanks Mark. I love it when a plan comes together. Once I get the gears swapped I will have the speed, (at least close), to what I am looking for. As you stated, it should also help the heat, and once I get the insulation lined under the seat and the muffler raised, things should be back on track.

You got, or at least ordered, a camo model at the same time I did. I wonder if they got swapped around some how and if that explains how the low gearing wound up in mine.

Hancock

i don't think so as the first 4 Alaska machines were all high geared, our riding is at low elevations most of the time so we can get away with the higher gearing even with tracks in most conditions in that we have all the horse power available.

I see. I figured you had ordered those low geared since you had plans for tracks. I never did confirm with you if you actually ended up with a camo as originally planned?

Dunno at this point where the low gearing came from in mine. I guess Matt and I will work out the details for the replacement. No dealers in my immediate area, but Matt had assured me when I bought mine that if any warranty issues arose that couldn't be resolved easily, that he would send his guys this way in a truck with tools on board to solve the problem. He still owes me a heated throttle cable and a skid plate anyhow. Hopefully the gear replacement is within my capabilities to swap out (to save the trip from Ind). I'm looking forward to the laid back cruise down the woods road.

Incidentally, (speaking of the laid back cruise down the woods road), for those that aren't an advocate of the sticks for steering (vs. the handlebar like the Argo has): I have found that the sticks stay in place quite well for a cruise and you can fairly easily put the left stick in position and once you get the motion going you can basically steer with only your right hand on the right stick, manipulating the throttle and the right stick for steering, and have your left hand free for other activities, (sipping that adult beverage, etc.).

Hancock
    Last edited by hancock; 06-16-2009 at 11:04 PM.

latest word is skid plates available the 30th of this month and the heated cable is very easy to put on and probably not necessary if you have any kind of cab enclosure because water won't enter the cable anyway. the gear change will probably take a couple of hours and a couple of adult beverages!!

Hancock - if the inner sprocket on the axle is 21 teeth you have a high geared machine. My machine has a 23 tooth inner sprocket - low gear and I ordered a set of 21 tooth sprockets for high gear which are sitting on the bench. Increasing the size of this sprocket increased the gear ratio (low gear)where a smaller sprocket lowers the ratio and increases speed. make sense?
    Your GPS readings however indicate a lower speed then advertised. Why? that's the million dollar question.
    Is you GPS off a bit. I know with my Garmin if I'm in a wooded area and only have locked onto a few satellites mine is less accurate then if I was out in the open country with many satellites. we need to look at other items such as throttle cable pull - is it actually opening the card all the way at full throttle. Is the govoner set properly - you would have to call Matt for this as he has a certain settin g for that motor.
    With low gears (23 tooth) in my machine and a back pounding 10PSI in the tires I can run 16.6-17 mph on flat ground (no tracks) at 5200 feet elevation which is consistant with Matt's calculations for low gear.

My machine has a 23 tooth inner sprocket - low gear and I ordered a set of 21 tooth sprockets for high gear which are sitting on the bench. Increasing the size of this sprocket increased the gear ratio (low gear)where a smaller sprocket lowers the ratio and increases speed. make sense?

Interesting information, Travis. It is conflicting with information from others and I would wonder where the answer to the puzzle is at this point. Wayne has a high geared machine and has counted the teeth at 16, very close if not the same as the outer sprocket. Yes, it does make sense that increasing the sprocket would be the low gearing and mine being larger with 21 teeth is commensurate with this scenario. Also....... Mark has taken this information with the tooth count and has stated that I definitely have the low gearing, so I am guessing he has confirmed the low gearing for his machines to be 21. The GPS is extremely accurate, by the way. I have checked it on numerous occasion with the car and the road I have been checking the Ox on is not tree covered, although I do agree with you that tree cover would affect it if it were there. I already thought of the possibility of the throttle cable not opening the card all the way and checked this. It lacks about an eighth inch of pull or so but I don't believe enough to affect the top end speed.

Hancock
    Last edited by hancock; 06-17-2009 at 10:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread