Max 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Max 8x8

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    What did Attex use in their Bigfoot prototype?
    Hi George! Attex used a pair of 16HP Briggs and a pair of Granite State transmissions to drive their BIGFOOT prototype. Each side operated independant of one another.

A T-20 is a very strong, durable, and in my opinion (and many other 6x6World members') the best AATV transmission ever built, so yes it will hold up just fine in an 8x8 application. Attex made their 8x8 Military tank trainers with the T-20 in them and they did just fine. Hydromike has 25" Rawhide III's on his T-20 equipped Attex 8x8 and it does great.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    What did Attex use in their Bigfoot prototype?
    The one I saw had the same transmissions as the trail boss. So I was told anyways. But one on each side. The engines where missing and not sure what engine they used but there was one on each side like hydromike stated.

Place your bets. My money is on the T-20 working just fine for this Big Boy. The biggest problem for Mike will be making sure that he can keep the wheels on it. He has a tendency to lose 1 or 2 once in a while. No Pressure, Mike.

Bridget

Mike when you posted about a "big old bed in the back" Ithought you were talking RV. Mikes RVAATV. Probably enough room to buid in Attex popup. Add the springer package and you have the ultimate offroad RV.

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    The biggest problem for Mike will be making sure that he can keep the wheels on it. He has a tendency to lose 1 or 2 once in a while. No Pressure, Mike.

Bridget
    I'll be using a stock MaxIV setup, FYI. NO stupid hubs, NO stupid 1" axles... hey, anything could happen though, right?
    (I have 3 machines with 1" axles. No offense intended....)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Mike when you posted about a "big old bed in the back" Ithought you were talking RV. Mikes RVAATV. Probably enough room to buid in Attex popup. Add the springer package and you have the ultimate offroad RV.
    I could add a gas grill, a shower, cable TV... Yeah, it's going to be long! SPEAKING of which... Can I get an Argo 8x8 or a MuddOx owner to measure total overall length? I want to see how much shorter I am, and to see how much "AATV envy" I can expect.

~m

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Can I get an Argo 8x8 or a MuddOx owner to measure total overall length?
    According to argo's site, the 8x8 Avenger 119" long - Argo 8x8 Specifications

How long is your Max going to be? 122" ? (96" + 26")

As long as you tighten the lug nuts CLOCKWISE, you'll be fine. Don't forget. CLOCKWISE.

AATV Envy??

This is turning into an awesome fun build for all of us.

Bridget

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    [/URL]

How long is your Max going to be? 122" ? (96" + 26")
    Yup! 10'2"

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    This is turning into an awesome fun build for all of us.

Bridget
    Oh for goodness sake, I've just cut two pieces of plastic so far, and taken some vintage photographs! Winters in Buffalo are loooong, and coooooold. Luckily, I have 5.5 gallons of hard cider and a stack of John Coltrane albums to keep me warm in the garage whilst I ponder the possibilities of the project. Hopefully, the cool parts are still to come.

~m

PS.... OK.. .so clockwise is (making motions in the air....) that way, right?

Well the Avenger with the Brush guard/wench and Boat motor bracket is right around 10'4 or so. Do parts that are sticking out count?

I think I could come up with a couple inches somewhere!

Really, though; when I had the tub sitting there in the garage all cobbed together, I was astonished at how long it looked. I'm actually pleased that it's NOT that much longer than an Avenger, or other 8 wheel machine. I'd hate for this project to end up a carnival side show attraction, or just a gimmick.

Subtopic change: Let's talk about tires, without getting into any fights.

JP helped me score a pair of 25" Rawhide IIIs yesterday. I really like the Rawhide IIIs on the Tank Trainer, and they're an all around impressive tire on most amphibs.
    They'd take a 9" beadlock rim that I'd source from MuddOx. The price is certainly fair on them, both the tires and the rims. They're a known quantity for a lot of us.

I was also looking at something more agressive, but still in the same realtive price range. Just surfing around, I found the D932 MudMax made by Nankang.

This particular one comes in a 26x12x12, which means I'd have to source the 12" from Recreatives, likely. RI seems to want quite a bit of money for the 12" rims last time I asked (although wind direction and moon phase seems to play a factor in price setting there, sometimes). I can get these at a comparable cost of the Rawhide IIIs, but their swimming performance is completely unknown. I know that nobody can really predict whether a tire will swim well on any particular machine.

Almost every single bit of my riding is done on snow/mud/dirt, etc., with very little swimming time, except for Busco. They don't have a huge sidewall profile, but it's about the same, if not more, than a 26" Terra Grip. It's a six ply tire, so it'll be right back into Terra Grip territory with the ride quality.

I'm mainly worried that the buying the rims is gonna hurt, and I already know what MuddOx rims cost for the Rawhides.

Decisions, decisions....
    ~m

+ Reply to Thread