1969 LTV KID ATV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 1969 LTV KID ATV

LTV KID you couldnt fill them cylinders with WD40 and get it lose? it ran when it was parked years ago didnt it? well if it ran then it will run now without a total motor rebuild.. if its stuck from setting its from the rings being rusted.. thats fixable with WD40 and some time. then if it wont run good or smokes bad after running it awhile you could ring it and throw some bearings in it.. or buy a reman long block

yea but

i know that what has got it stuck but i fugure while i got everything apart im going to just restore the whole thing top to bottom so it should be in almost perfect shape when im done plus the cylinder walls dont look perfect so myswell do it now for good measure.
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

Water Test

Well, put my Kid in the frozen pond this weekend. No leaks that I could see, Yippee!! But found out some other issues. I had removed the gas tank to seal it and had a temp tank in so the refill hole was open. If the entry into the water is anything but almost level that opening will take in water. Also I had the inner tires forward for mud and the outer (dually) set backward for water and I went NOWHERE! Ended up having a tow line thrown from my son. and kind of tipsy, I see why that one on youtube had the outriggers. Since I can't work on it there and the temp was about 20 deg. I trailered back home and plan to run just 1 set of tires next time to see if it sets better in the water. Should have the gas tank back in also. I also need to have chain downs as it threw off 4, 10K# ratchet straps when I went over some RR tracks.

Speed: I ran about the best up to 21mph (on my Nuvi) but I'll tell you that was on a back gravel road and it was getting a little hairy with just a bounce or so from running in the ditch and thru the barbed wire. I think 18 is not a bad speed if the additional torque is there. Mine loses a good bit of steam coming out the water and up hills.
    Attached Images

Southern Comfort Kid

cool

that is one bad looking machine you got there wish mine were going iv been stuck for three weeks without a cherry picker but i think im about get one finally. I think im just going to buy some swamp fox tires when it is done. You didnt have a propeller on the back? other wise you should have been fine. I got my stuff in for the PTO but is there some tipe of lever to engage it in the manuals it looks like there is something. When i get the motor and trans out ill put up some pics of the peices. Still wouldnt mind a great mud video! PS (when i was haulin mine home i got some crazy looks, What kind of looks do you get?)
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

It definitely gets the looks!! One truck in the next lane(passing) couldn't stop quick enough to get a good look. I lot of trucks coming back from deer hunting yesterday looked it over.

I had a prop on before but the PTO was live! Not good with no way to stop the prop spinning at 2000rpm when not in the water. No, there is no lever for the PTO, unless you have one with a clutch on it then I think its a switch.

There was a lever up front on some that had hydraulic circuits to the front and rear. If yours has those 2 hydraulic connections on the back then you could mount a hydraulic motor with a prop on it that would give F & R (see pix). I put on a kicker outboard motor mount with a slide in mount on the rear (so I could have reverse and steering) u can see it in the picture. but didn't get chance to test it, next time I guess. That may be a month or so as now we get into Mardi Gras season I'm busy with.

I would like to design some side flotation that would rotate up out of the way when not in water. Dual tires is definetly for the mud though. The tractor type tread on mine was about the only ones I could find that fit all of the measurements and not hit each other. Let me know if you find other tires that fit.
    Attached Images

Southern Comfort Kid

Sorry other pix too big, I'll try to email it to you.

Southern Comfort Kid

nickname

although im far from done i think im going to name mine chugbug ha so you are saying you dont necessairly need more floatation but more stability in the water?
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

Stability

Right, You don't need it to ride higher in the water, so you could just add some floatation to the inside in case of swamping that bilge pumps could not handle. But once I run in the water with just all single tires and find out where the true water line is then I can check the stability. I think then it won't be as tipsy. but an addition like the outriggers on a hawaian long canoe? would add stability keeping it more level expecially if there is any current or wave action.

If you remember the video of the one in the swamp hauling the cane behind it I found out that the depth there is probably right at the bottom of his tracks so its real stable. especially if you notice they cut the sides of the kid to allow easy entry and the water is just under that cutout. He also told me he would not put his in their pond due to some leaks and unsure of it floating in deep water.

Southern Comfort Kid

Southeren.. whats the purpose of the front tires being singles when the others are duels in your pictures?

The front was riding higher in the water last time so I took those off since the front is lighter than the rear to try to level it out, besides I had a flat on one of those tires. Have you seen the videos of the escargo tracks, try utube? interesting design versus our tracks.

Southern Comfort Kid

+ Reply to Thread