Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Looking pretty good in there. Hurry up, i know your itching to drive it.
    oh man, you nailed it..lol..i was thinkin bout taking the hood off it and just throwing the lower floor pan in and driving it around...then i remembered it was still running and the garage doors we're shut..lol...so i figured i'd shut it down, and go inside before i passed out from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. LOL

I must say, for incorporating the factory jlo motor mount, it doesnt really stick outta the hood to far. Infact, my "hood scoop" is actually overkill by a long shot..lol it could be an inch tall and still give the air cleaner plenty of room. but i think it looks cool! PLUS, it gives me room to put some "6x6world.com" advertisements. lol (by the way..i need to get some stickers...)
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
    ahh, 10~4 on that jp. my bad..

On another note, got my wiring all figured out, installed my cover back on the pull start side, and things are wrapped up. Now i can soely concentrate on gettin exhuast wrapped up. The pic in this post shows the xhuast pointing upwards..dont mind that..it will be turned, and connected to the factory muffler once done. i just simply had to pretend i had a mini stack on it..lol

As for plans with exhaust, i intend on putting an adapter on the muffler thats in the picture, that will adapt it down to a size that i can incorporate a piece of flex pipe over to the factory muffler. The way it sits now its nice n quiete, way quiter than the jlo..(imagine that..hmm...strange??...LOL..SCORE!!!!!!! ) anyhow, im sure ill end up makin a trip to the neighbors to use his Exhaust Bender/Fitter. However, i did notice that the A&G autoparts by my work has a very nice selection of exhaust fittings N such..even some small tractor exhaust...so hopes are up for that matter. O.D. of the muffler is like 2.250, O.D. of the factory attex mufler is like 1-5/8's..so...ill be going with the inside side of it which is 1.5" It'd be nice if i could find an adapter that goes from 1.5 OD on the small side, to 2.250 on the big side..lol..then i can plumb it up right quick! Lickity split! BUT...i doubt ill buy anthing like that..prolly more along the range of purchasing something of that nature. lol

Attachment 7527
    I know it's easy to keep track of whose parts belonged to who, haha. There are so many parts being traded back and forth so we can all help each other get another machine up and running. I know my machines are made up of a slew of parts from members all over the place. Thanks everyone.

Anyway, your 4 stroke conversion looks amazing! VERY professional and clean work there, I must say. And I like how you post all the details of the build. It really helps other members out who are getting an idea of how they might want to do something similar to their machine. Keep up the good work!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Almost Done..

WEll boys and girls, its almost complete.. The exhaust is on..but not yet wrapped. I forgot to buy some today when i was out N about, and i aint going anywhere tonight, i gotta work in the morning. lol, so that'll be tomorrow! In the picture You'll see the following items.. a piece of 2" flex pipe, a 1.5 OD to 2" od adapter. (may not see it..its stuffed into factory muffler..) an adapter at other end which is 2"od to 2.25" ID, a factory briggs muffler, a "Street 90" and then a strait nipple connector. (lol..nipple..) anyhow, i had to split the factor muffler a tad bit, nothing major, just a little bit to help the adapter slide in a little easier..cuz it was tight...like...TITE!!!! but it fit!! ( i had to spit on it..) i then cut flex pipe to approximate size and assebled everything for a MOCK run. (Little did i know, when i cut the flex pipe, i cut it at JUST the right length..) after i put everything together, i checked clearances, patted my self on the back N fired up a smoke..cuz i did dam good! lol I then took a picture, marked all my pieces and started welding. Its currently in the garage waiting to be "Wrapped Up". now...im going to tell you a little bit of neato modding i did..

See this muffler?..

at the seam, in the middle of it (the raised edges) it measures exactly 2.25"..PERFECTLY!! lol. I had to drill out the 3 dimples on the very end of it. (exiting end, they are visible in picture) so i could remove half of the outter shell. THEN..i pounded my adapter onto it. THUS, saving VALUABLE room, and making a dam good seal on the muffler/adapter joining. once it was all put together man it looked good! i should sell em! lol

After everything was welded, i applied some paint while it was still warm. (baking effect!!..lol) Then i sized up my copper exhaust gaskets, and made sure i found appropriate length bolts. after everything was cool enough to touch, i installed this bada$$ looking mo-fo! Put a clamp on the factory muffler end, and at that same end on the flex pipe. i didnt bother clamping end thats at my "Muff-Mod" cuz i need to wrap it all first, so ill wait. I then re checked clearances, and then fired that mother up..

My goal in this build was to have a 4 stroke attex, with a quiet muffler, for woods, and trail riding, that i was still able to talk over while it was running. I can say this with confidence..it is QUIET.. (capital letters too..) The motor alone is louder than the exhaust. Serious. lol. It sounds awesome too, i had to stoop down by the muffler and rev it up, and its awesome guys...yinz got no idea how freakin happy i was! lol I took a picture and sent it to drew and we discussed some header wrap.

Guys, my attex is almost back in action..and sounds, looks, and even smells better! lol..haha. I'm stoked, and ready to rolllllllllll!!!!

exhaust mock.jpg

-WagZ-

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

Very nice! I'd just suggest adding some fiberglass header wrap around all the exhaust piping....I did that on my Hustler BIGFOOT and it works extremely well at keeping the under the hood temperatures low.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Well folks, took the first maiden voyage in it tonight, just real quick, nothing to long. 10 mins into it, i had smoke rollin out the engine bay..lol..twas only the header wrap burning off its stink n stuff, nothing major. Machine is nice and quiete, and a total power house. Well, torque monster rather, not a speed racing death machine now. lol Just what i wanted! SUCESS! however, i do have a small problem now though..lol..(go figure..) Its not charging...WTF! i attatched the "red wire" coming from my voltage reg on the engine, to the positive side of the battery/solenoid. SO it would charge directly to the battery..however, it ISNT charging.. Sup with that? got any tests i can do? Ive got 2 wires coming from the stator out to the regulator, then a RED wire from the regulator to the battery + side..Can i Ohm it or REsistance check it?

also, i forgot to mention i header wrapped the entire exhuast except for a small small portion. i also bought some type of Reflective metal tape stuff, that its supposed to shield stuff from heat N such, it works well also. i did notice that my LH side trans seal must be bad, its throwing a little bit of fluid out, but nothign major. just some here N there..something for future reference when it needs rebuilt. Drive belt loosened up too, which is good. i can adjust it as needed now and get er dialed in real good. I do love the idea that now i just point it towards the top of a hill and squeeze, and now it nice and slowly/quietly GOES right up it without launching myself into any unseen hazards. lol

Well folks, took the first maiden voyage in it tonight, just real quick, nothing to long. 10 mins into it, i had smoke rollin out the engine bay..lol..twas only the header wrap burning off its stink n stuff, nothing major. Machine is nice and quiete, and a total power house. Well, torque monster rather, not a speed racing death machine now. lol Just what i wanted! SUCESS! however, i do have a small problem now though..lol..(go figure..) Its not charging...WTF! i attatched the "red wire" coming from my voltage reg on the engine, to the positive side of the battery/solenoid. SO it would charge directly to the battery..however, it ISNT charging.. Sup with that? got any tests i can do? Ive got 2 wires coming from the stator out to the regulator, then a RED wire from the regulator to the battery + side..Can i Ohm it or REsistance check it?

USUALLY on a briggs, no charge = bad regulator..... read on....

you need the (expensive) Briggs meeter to test the regulator, either have a local mower shop test it, or go for the shotgun repair...
    Unhook the yellow plug that goes into the regulator and probe it with a meter to see if you have AC current with the engine running. If you do, and there is no output, then the regulator is probably the issue. If there is no AC, then you have an issue with the stator... typically on a briggs something ( nut, bolt, small socket.... has gotten dropped behind the flywheel and killed either the magnets in the wheel, or the stator windings ( or in my case both). Probably the regulator though. $65ish out the door using factory parts
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    USUALLY on a briggs, no charge = bad regulator..... read on....

you need the (expensive) Briggs meeter to test the regulator, either have a local mower shop test it, or go for the shotgun repair...
    Unhook the yellow plug that goes into the regulator and probe it with a meter to see if you have AC current with the engine running. If you do, and there is no output, then the regulator is probably the issue. If there is no AC, then you have an issue with the stator... typically on a briggs something ( nut, bolt, small socket.... has gotten dropped behind the flywheel and killed either the magnets in the wheel, or the stator windings ( or in my case both). Probably the regulator though. $65ish out the door using factory parts
    Thats a big 10~4 racer! Im puttin my shoes on and going to the garage! lol time to do some probing!! MUHAHAHA!!! (evil laugh!!)

well...i got less than 1 volt ac..lol its like 0.800-900v...so..i think that justifys that my stator must be toast, or magnets. lol

well...i got less than 1 volt ac..lol its like 0.800-900v...so..i think that justifys that my stator must be toast, or magnets. lol
    Not really.....in general that type alternator does not put out squat at idle. Rev it up and see what happens. The meter should read 30 or so volts. It must be much higher in AC because when it is rectified down you loose a lot. At 100% efficiency DC=AC times .707....(RMS)....and nothing is 100% efficient. Plus you have to charge a battery at a higher voltage than the battery its self, usually 14-15 volts

+ Reply to Thread