Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tracks, Boggies, suspension...heaven forbid?

I bet some folks in buffalo right now would like a good set of snow tracks for there Argos. More snow then they can handle.
    The only way we are going to get something different for tracks is to show there is a need. There has to be a market for a good track system for snow.. If you are happy with the status quo then why are we all trying to modify what we have?
    If I had a good shop you are dam right I would be building a good aluminium frame to just bolt on the existing axles. With some sort of track system on that. You can take the ATV track system but make it the full length of the Argo Front axle drives is and the other axles are used as support. I would not be overly concerned about a suspension system, because the snow is a lot softer then the hard ground.
    Oh maybe if I win the lotto then I could start doing some real experimenting.

Yes I am very Happy with the channel track. They right up there, top the line in a tracks system but so are the Adair and escargot tracks. They are all right up there, top of the line like All season tires. Do you get my point.
    You already have the machine. ( the older ones are a little under powered) The new units are fine. Now we just need a good winter track. If you go too wide with the existing track system its to hard on the axles. Unless you have extensions on all axles .

Thinking out loud here-
    I think the key is to not over-do the wheel spacers. 2.5" are just fine. You can add additional width to the outside of a track (quite a bit) for extra floatation without adding all this extra "leverage" that people think you do. The machine still places its weight (and therefore leverage) on the tire. The track is not connected to the tire, nor does the track leverage the tire (my opinion thus far) Driving on a piece of plywood that is on top of the snow...or a 2x12 on the snow...the machine's axle/bearing/hub load is the same. The different width pieces of wood (just like different width tracks for example) are not connected to the tire directly...the tires simple drive on top of them. The leverage felt by your axle body, bearings, and hub flange is directly related to your wheel spacer width, vehicle load, "time" on your parts, and driving style. Although it makes for a wider wheelbase, a wide track can make for excellent performance and safe operation on your machine providing it is set up correctly. Standard wheel spacers and no more. HD axles and bearings and even bearing cages (bearing extensions) help as well. On the tracks we've run, we've specifically limited the inner belts to 4" because any wider would require wider wheel spacers for the +/- 1.5" tub clearance that should be present. I prefer to instead add additional width to the outside if wanted. Just thinking out loud. I think very few people have much experience running wider than 18 or 20" tracks on these machines. It can be done safely, and works very well. I'm all for new ideas, but you're still going to need width and will give up important qualities of your machine if the bouyant tires go away.
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-19-2014 at 03:12 AM.

i assume it would not work to have tracks on the aatv's i have seen with suspension. too much travel in the wheels for the track to stay on ? johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    i assume it would not work to have tracks on the aatv's i have seen with suspension. too much travel in the wheels for the track to stay on ? johnboy va.
    Its probably better to have them stationery. Less things to go wrong.

Buzz As for leverage on axles you are right to a point. Because the track will fold up when you hit something with the side of the track. And the leverage is determined by the distance between the bearing and the centre line of the tire. wheel spacers add a lot more leverage on the axle. As do, dual wheels.
    What I have found with this style of track is, when you hit a soft snow bank the front of the argo will become high centred and you will not have the climbing ability to go over it. If you watch some of the videos of argos that have a wide track they all have the same problem. And they have to take runs at the snow bank to get through it. Now I am not talking about a bank pushed up by a plow. They are packed somewhat. its snow drifts, Very light soft snow. That is where these tracks have the most trouble. Because the weight of the argo is all on the front and the track set so far back from the front of the machine. Its simple physics of course the front is going to sink. I remember seeing a video of a fellow with the Adair track and winter kit with nice ice cleats. He could not go through the snow bank he just gave up. the front of the argo just sank out of site every time he tried to go through it
    I get a kick out of some of the vides, they are going like a bat out of hell through the snow. Looks good but they are going down a steep hill.
    Any way thats my take on it. We are trying to modify a bad design. Now I am speaking just as a snow track. In mud, swamps they are a very good track that would be hard to beat.

You bet, you're saying what I'm saying- the tire position determines leverage. Always fun chatting with you Old Tucker. Bigger spacer = more leverage. But, going from an 18" or 20" (typical "wide" track) to a really wide 27-30" track with the same (2.5" standard) spacer doesn't add all this extra stress that I've heard people say it does.
    In additions, all tracks (even very narrow ones) add additional lateral loads on the corner axles/bearings/hubs. That's why tracked machines get bearing extensions (and hopefully HD axles) as an upgrade. Set up the machine correctly, and you can run a very wide track..safely...I guess is my point.
    We just don't have the track speed necessary (HP really) to cruise up a very steep/deep hill. Snowmachines can't do it either at very slow speeds, but they can accelerate and use momentum to help.
    I would love to see your machine with a winter kit though. I think you'd have even more fun and be pleasantly surprised with your ability to stay on top most of the time. Plus we can do a lot of things and go a lot of places that snowmachines can't, all while carrying a bunch and staying warm. (If you're not in a hurry).
    Last edited by Buzz; 11-20-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Ok so this is still bugging me...how to mount track frames front and rear and the center like they do on quads...then wrap one larger track around the whole setup...this is to me a gooder plan LOL as the track frame pivots on the axle upwards at an angle to climb out of snow....I'm guessing/hoping.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

riot, seems to my visualization of the system your talking about means the rear axle would be the track drive and the center axles would still spin, but the boogie system that bolted to the center hubs would have a plate to match the hub bolts, and that plate mounted to a short shaft thru a bearing so they would freewheel. i think the whole thing for each side could be made to where you just unbolt the wheels, bolt on the system on each side and your off. just a general idea, still questions about space , clearance, etc. i'm thinking along the line of those one's like are mounted on pickup trucks. but each side would be one complete unit. anyway, keep thinking !! johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    riot, seems to my visualization of the system your talking about means the rear axle would be the track drive and the center axles would still spin, but the boogie system that bolted to the center hubs would have a plate to match the hub bolts, and that plate mounted to a short shaft thru a bearing so they would freewheel. i think the whole thing for each side could be made to where you just unbolt the wheels, bolt on the system on each side and your off. just a general idea, still questions about space , clearance, etc. i'm thinking along the line of those one's like are mounted on pickup trucks. but each side would be one complete unit. anyway, keep thinking !! johnboy va.
    See each of our machines is different in how the axles are supported.

For example if you dig in my muscateer thread you will see my outer bearing is about 1"-2" away from the flange the tyres mount on, this is a very very unique system and the only one of it's kind that I have seen... MUSCAT Corp only! I can quite simple mount a set of spacers on my axles inside and only drive ONE axle, or TWO or as I have now all three.

With spacers on the inside this would allow those axles to float and act as a pivot for a suspended system. or I could tie two of them together to provide a fixed point and only have one with some pivot capability, similar to what the do on Quads.

The idea is to unbolt wheels/tyres bolt on tracks for winter or what have you...

Just thinking outside the box here is all...
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Seems you're off the original idea now, but this may be one reason the 4 corners may not work. Though the tracks may be closer on 6x6.

terra jet snow tracks - YouTube

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Seems you're off the original idea now, but this may be one reason the 4 corners may not work. Though the tracks may be closer on 6x6.

terra jet snow tracks - YouTube
    That Terra Jet really sits up high with the tracks. That's a great look for a T.J. and I'm sure it performs well.

+ Reply to Thread