The vampire asx tires are coming back! Who wants some?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The vampire asx tires are coming back! Who wants some?

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    I would take that bet Dave, especially since I would have Adair tracks over The Vendettas. Opps, forgot that one. The Vendettas are better because you can run them in tracks. Dave why would you go to the Mud Nationals without tracks anyways?

Keith.

I know you plan on running the Vendetta tires and Adair tracks on your Hustler Bigfoot and it's good that is a great fit for the Adair tracks. After having to rock my machine side to side, some times getting out, and some timing having to use a winch to get pulled out of the serious mud holes at River Run park, I'm through running just tires on my machines. I was just making a point of tire vs tire, and see which tire ( with out tracks ) would perform at River run park or Mud Creek park at the mud nationals.

I know Dave. I was just giving a fellow track addict a hard time. But honestly the Vendetta is the only tire I have found so far that I would remove my tracks for. I have more video of crawling in mud and split shifting like crazy but it is boring and slow so I did not post it. I will put some pure mud test video together and post it later on but I need to get my vintage machines loaded up to test with jpswift I guess first.

Keith

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Hey guys,,,, nothing against tracks at all if you have them,, but I enjoy the challenge of getting through mud holes with my lil cheap old tires. Tracks are nice and maybe one day, who knows, I might break down and get a set, but they make riding boring to me. This is an additive hobby, but it is still a hobby and its fun running what I have and pushing it to the limit. Tracks are like a 300 shot of nitrous to a 454 engine versus a Yugo 3 banger,,,,,,, 50. cal to a fist fight,,,,,, where is the fun in that?

On another note, the Ven's look pretty good in the water and has a stout Bulldog" stance,, but the the lugs on the tires dont look to be that big,,, almost seems like its performance in the mud,, and i mean thick mud would be less of that of the ASX's. Im looking forward to the real comparison of the two in some of that thick and nasty mud if the opportunity presents itself in Ash!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Yeah Fred, I have seen video of you working your Poor old Hustler to near exhaustion on a few trail rides with a big smile on your face. I am sort of a track guy so the fact that the Vendettas can take tracks is a big plus to me. The Vendettas are an Amphibious tire that swim, ride, climb wet logs and work well in both mud AND sand. Typically a deep lug mud tire like the ASX does not do well in loose sand. The Vendettas worked very well in the loose sand around the edges of Matt's pond and I was able to pull myself out of the water easily without digging in as long as I was not too aggressive with the throttle. I have more mud video of the Vendettas but it is slow and boring like you say tracks are. Inching forward in the mud for what seemed like forever. The Vendettas worked very much like my Adair tracks in the mud in that light throttle moved you forward slowly and more throttle would spin the tires and stop forward motion. I still don't understand why the Vendettas worked so well in the mud without the deep lugs like a typical mud tire. Must be something to do with the amount of floatation and some sort of pumping action from the tread design. What was really strange is you could always back up and pick a different line if the mud drew you in a direction that was not where you wanted to go and you could pick a different line in the mud hole. It was a fun afternoon and I am looking forward to some head to head testing at Ashtabula with jpswift.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    Yeah Fred, I have seen video of you working your Poor old Hustler to near exhaustion on a few trail rides with a big smile on your face.
    Keith, did you mean to be sarcastic? Don't go making waves in a septic tank! I love my Hustler! I've practically made it what it is now, a very reliable trail machine. I prefer simple trial and error over dumping a butt load of cash into it and pointing fingers at those who still have their money in their pockets! I've put a lot of hours into getting it that way and I'm proud of it!! Working on my machine, figuring it out and knowing the ends and outs of it, is fascinating and makes the hobby even more enjoyable and appreciated. Like I said earlier, tracks are cool but takes the challenge away, and that makes it boring to me, but this is only my opinion and I wouldn't dare try to force it on anyone. Please don't twist my words! I know a few members that have tracks on their rigs and we all have fun riding together,, no issues of whose rig was better cause it had this or that, or this cost this much, that much talk.. It was pure harmony cause we all were "do-it-yourselfers". We appreciated the workmanship of others, comparing our machines' current stature to that of a previous engagement. There were no sarcastic stuttering of words among us, there was only respect!

So,,,,,, The Ven's look good and perform great in the water (hats off to Matt for making that happen!), but I would like to see them in some really thick mud where tires with larger lugs like the ASX's, 589's, Mudbugs, DirtDevils or Executioners earn their pay (to name a few)!

Good luck at Ash!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

No Sarcasm intended Fred. Even tried to word it so none would be taken. Guess I failed. I have watched a number of videos where you sit over the nose of the your Hustler and get it to go again. I was amazed the first time I saw it then discovered it was a valuable technique for Hustler owners. Very fun stuff to watch. Some nights these videos are better than the crap on TV for me.

I respect your views as always Fred and share your curiosity but also am excited (OK maybe a little over excited) about the performance of the new Vens (love your new nick name) Sort of curious why it is OK to discredit the enthusiasm over a new product though when it clearly (in my mind) is shown to be so capable, with video, in so many aspects. For me trial and error still means dumping a butt load of cash into a project, I guess I am not smart enough to figure out how to try what I want without that part of the equation. My posts are intended to save others from the expenses I have already incurred. I even tried to show pictures of all the other configurations I have tried over the past year so people would know I was serious in my quest for a tire worth removing my tracks for. Again sorry if it is taken the wrong way.

I could hardly sleep last night knowing Jeff was as curious as me as to the performance on the Vens compared to the ASXs. Fortunately I was able to rearrange some appointments here to get Friday free to travel. Really want to see how the Vens swim compared to the ASXs. It will be even a better test if JP will swap tires from machine to machine. I have never even had my 980 in the water so this testing should be a blast and maybe a lot of work. Nine - Ten our trip each way for me.

Keith.
    Last edited by kghills; 06-19-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Remeberd I am oldered than Fred so changed "old girl" to "your Hustler".

I think the Vendetta's will be great in the mud for an amphib simply because they are so wide. As an old friend would tell us, it's all about PSI on the ground for amphibs. A narrower, aggressive tire will dig down quicker and if it doesn't find bottom any amphib will get stuck on it's belly. Staying on top of the mud, much like tracks, will get an amphib through some very swampy conditions. There still could be areas were an aggressive tread will be an advantage. Climbing muddy banks or out of rutted out mud holes might be one of them. It will be interesting to see the Vendettas and ASX's in all conditions. I am still anxious to try my Aqua Torques in areas the Terra Grips failed me.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Brandon, I bet you will find the Aqua Torques take you farther and when they dig in, well, plan on staying in China awhile. It is sort of like you say.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I love to read what everyone says about different tires. I know that I don't have the experience on 6x6's but I do believe different style of tires act differently on separate brand of aatv's. Its also on the skill level of the driver. I did break down and bought tires, just couldn't wait any longer. I bought a set of executioners. I know.... I read that they don't swim but i'm hard headed.

As someone who has already run ASX, TSL's, 26" Goodyear terra tires, 26" Carlise tires, 27" swamp Fox plus tires, 22 inch Argo swimmer tires on my MaxIV I say that this new 26 inch Vendetta tire is a welcome addition to the AATV world and I personally can't wait to try a set on my MaxIV.

I forgot to say, weight is a big issue for AATV tires, ASX tires on 12" inch steel wheels are about 47 pounds each, the extra weight takes a lot of power in deep pudding mud, just another thing to think about.

+ Reply to Thread