Tracks and phragmitis

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tracks and phragmitis

John we talked about riding back on it and we’re not going to do that right away. We’re going to see if just driving over it gets it bound up in the axles, then if it doesn’t we are going to go the other way. I have a tractor with a cutter wheel on the back, but after it sinks 16” it’s over your stuck. My last STUCK with it was 150 yards away and we were snapping 5/8 cable. Finally went to 3/4 with snatch blocks to get it out. Needless to say I I bought 2 Argos. My max would put down more phrag in less time than that machine and rarely got stuck. When it did it was my own dumb fault. If it’s still a little green it will bounce back up about 2 ft. But once the freeze comes we drag 1” concrete form plywood over it and that works good. I tried pulling a 10’ telephone pole sideways threw it with the tractor 1 yr around august, as it came threw the phrag it bounced right back up and you never knew where I drug threw other than the tracks from the tractor. I’ll try to post some pictures of the different equipment we try to make work. Tomorrow at 2 o’clock I’m purchasing 2 swisher pull behind mowers. 1 is going on the front of a polar craft boat for cutting Lilly pads and the other we’re going to try to put either in front of or behind the Argos. If it works well enough they might both go on the Argos. We will build sleds under them so we can adjust the height then they can slide across the phrag. Wish I would have hit the powerball then I’d by the marshmaster

sounds like a awesome plan ..we look forward to what you find . you sure would think something like a 4'' or 6 '' diameter piece of pvc pipe mounted so it covers the axles from tub to wheel hub would stop the entanglement . wonder why the argo is more prone than the max was . i'll stay tuned . jboy

yea ..the swishers look good . even if after cutting you have a foot or so tall phrag that may do it . jb

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    John we talked about riding back on it and we’re not going to do that right away. We’re going to see if just driving over it gets it bound up in the axles, then if it doesn’t we are going to go the other way. I have a tractor with a cutter wheel on the back, but after it sinks 16” it’s over your stuck. My last STUCK with it was 150 yards away and we were snapping 5/8 cable. Finally went to 3/4 with snatch blocks to get it out. Needless to say I I bought 2 Argos. My max would put down more phrag in less time than that machine and rarely got stuck. When it did it was my own dumb fault. If it’s still a little green it will bounce back up about 2 ft. But once the freeze comes we drag 1” concrete form plywood over it and that works good. I tried pulling a 10’ telephone pole sideways threw it with the tractor 1 yr around august, as it came threw the phrag it bounced right back up and you never knew where I drug threw other than the tracks from the tractor. I’ll try to post some pictures of the different equipment we try to make work. Tomorrow at 2 o’clock I’m purchasing 2 swisher pull behind mowers. 1 is going on the front of a polar craft boat for cutting Lilly pads and the other we’re going to try to put either in front of or behind the Argos. If it works well enough they might both go on the Argos. We will build sleds under them so we can adjust the height then they can slide across the phrag. Wish I would have hit the powerball then I’d by the marshmaster
    Was a union pipefitter certified welder for roughly 20 years before going into the nuke world 9 years ago as a maintenance mechanic/welder. Having worked with cranes and rigging most of my life I've seen a lot of equipment pushed to its breaking point and I don't believe I've ever seen a cable break. I've seen them stretched, bent, kinked and frayed but not snapped. I've seen plenty of lifting straps break, partially tear, stretched beyond their working load limit etc etc. The point is I can attest to just how hard it would be to snap 5/8" cable!! That's a...wtf am I gonna do now...kind of stuck!! Things got real serious when you broke out the 3/4" cable and snatch blocks!! I love to come up with ways to solve problems that don't have a conventional or readily available solution so I'd definitely be interested in seeing the equipment you've made to battle the kryptonite...I mean phragmites lol....Cup

Cup I think because of the length of pull and going around trees a scrub brush that is why we broke the cable. Then we got a little smarter and started using the snatch blocks. We learned a few things today…. 1 plastic tracks slip way more than rubber, 18 hp and 23 hp is plenty. Most important part is connecting, I’m sure there is another term for it. We were looking for every deer run and muskrat run so we could start there. Then we would only be able to 1/2 the machines on the high stuff. Definitely driving over it and not driving back against it helped TREMENDOUSLY with the phrag in between the tub and tracks. As far as the max, we’ll for any of the max lovers right now I don’t think there is much of a difference, but I’ve driven the max for years and I only have a few hours in the Argo. ( still love the max) I’m thinking I’m having a starter issue or a solenoid issue I’m going to replace the batt but the 03 machine didn’t want to start, we jumped it and it stated right up. The only thing I’ve done is put a new winch on so I disconnected it. Lastly I tested positive for COVID so now this is the 3rd time. Going to lay up for a day or two then head back at it. I’ll try to get some pics up later. We got maybe 1 1/2 ac today and that was 4 hrs, but we got the staging area set up with the ropes to the mainland and the boat. So now it’s just go and drive.

delduck ..get yourself some rest and feel better . i was thinking yesterday that it would really be interesting if you were in the phrag with your machine and another argo there with the mudd ox hybrid tracks and another machine with those steel plate '' escargo tracks just to see the comparison of how they perform and the phrag build up , etc. on different tracks , etc. j.b.

Guys I really appreciate all the feedback, I never thought I would get so much, and greatly appreciate it from all of you. Cup PSE&G just use there machines to go out to the power lines that cross the swamp so they do get phrag in the machines, but only a little bit since they are driving from a to b. Our world is drive over everything. Glyphosate is what I use, and it’s all about when. You can spray threw out the summer and it will stun it, but after it goes to seed you can whoop that a$$. And if you can be within 1 week of going to seed you can see it kill the plant within 2-3 days. After a couple weeks of going to seed the spray takes longer. This year we were able to spray all the way out till nov because of the warm weather but it didn’t show any affect until the second week of December. I’m going to run down 1/2 ac tomorrow and see how packed it gets, but I do think a pipe or even a angle bar across the front will help. Just funny how my max4 didn’t get wound up as bad. Just want to thank everyone for the replies and please keep them coming. About the first week in February we are going to video with the drone and use the go pro’s, hopefully I can download them to the site, if not send me a pm and I’ll send them threw email. Duck season ends on the 20th and we’re hoping to have cold weather by then.
    Sorry to here about the vid, good thing I didn't pop in and look around because the wife has me grounded due to not having a shot.

Jb I think from what his problem is with the phrag the best track may be the beaver dam hybrid only due to it probably dropping and possibly chopping the phrag as the metal blade crimps it where there is ground contact.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Jim come on down anytime. I don’t have the shot either, so far so good, not a big deal, just a cough, not even a fever.we did learn that we prefer the individual sticks rather than the steering wheel. At least with the individuals you can keep one side moving while you chop the brake on the other side, not at all on the steering wheel machine.
    Last edited by Delduck; 01-01-2022 at 05:55 AM.

jim ...i was thinking the same thing about the steel plated escargo tracks . maybe chop , chop ,chop j.b.

Cup I think because of the length of pull and going around trees a scrub brush that is why we broke the cable. Then we got a little smarter and started using the snatch blocks. We learned a few things today…. 1 plastic tracks slip way more than rubber, 18 hp and 23 hp is plenty. Most important part is connecting, I’m sure there is another term for it. We were looking for every deer run and muskrat run so we could start there. Then we would only be able to 1/2 the machines on the high stuff. Definitely driving over it and not driving back against it helped TREMENDOUSLY with the phrag in between the tub and tracks. As far as the max, we’ll for any of the max lovers right now I don’t think there is much of a difference, but I’ve driven the max for years and I only have a few hours in the Argo. ( still love the max) I’m thinking I’m having a starter issue or a solenoid issue I’m going to replace the batt but the 03 machine didn’t want to start, we jumped it and it stated right up. The only thing I’ve done is put a new winch on so I disconnected it. Lastly I tested positive for COVID so now this is the 3rd time. Going to lay up for a day or two then head back at it. I’ll try to get some pics up later. We got maybe 1 1/2 ac today and that was 4 hrs, but we got the staging area set up with the ropes to the mainland and the boat. So now it’s just go and drive.
    Did I read that correctly, you've had COVID 3 times?!!
    As far as the cable use is concerned, the length of the pull and any obstructions it may contact definitely has an impact on it's durability. I wouldn't think scrub brush and trees would be that detrimental to the cable but then again I have no experience using it that way. Not patting myself on the back but I had a feeling that the position of the phrag had a lot to do with contributing to the problem. Whether it was just the right length and flexibility as you drove through it initially or driving back through it. Regardless of what mechanical means you end up using or not using to remedy the problem at least you know now that it's not necessarily just the design of the ARGO or the design of the tracks that's contributing to the problem. More importantly than all that is your health so I hope your symptoms remain mild and under control. The county I live in is blowing up with COVID cases so I'm trying my best to avoid it. I'm kind of a homebody anyway so that part isn't hard for me like it is for others. I've been on vacation for almost 3 weeks too so that helps tremendously but come Mon morning that's all going to end when I return to work. Get some well deserved R&R and take care...Cup

+ Reply to Thread