Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Update, and transmission question.

I pulled the trans and tore it down to investigate some things. I have a curious situation with my bands. My bands are newly relined with .040" of liner material, but the plungers run too far out of the case. My drum diameters are fine, at least according to an old post I found indicating the drum diameter should be 6.210. Mine are all within ten thousandths. What I have discovered is that my bands are one inch longer compared to another (worn out and rusty) set of bands. To take up that extra inch of band length, my lining would have to be about 0.110 instead of .040. Anybody ever run into something like this? Are there such things as extra thick lined bands?
    I wonder if there was not a plunger length difference over the years with all the out sourcing.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

There are some transmissions out there that were prone to band stretching. Not sure if it was an alloy or tempering problem. I had a bunch relined and some where still too long because they were stretched. Kind of hard to measure the curly things!

AJ, the plungers are the same in the two transmissions.

Country, I don't believe it is possible that all bands would stretch exactly the same. I'm measuring with a piece of fishing line. I clamp one end at the band eye center and then wrap it around the band. I cut it to length at the eye center on the other end of the band. Then, wrapping the line around another band I can see, and measure the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    I may wind up having to buy a set of bands. But, I really want to know why my bands are 1 inch longer than a different band I'm comparing it to. Bands stretch, but all of mine are exactly 1 inch longer.

I hope I find out that once upon a time bands were made with much thicker lining. I may have mine relined, again, but thicker this time (if possible)
    Again with the out sourcing the previous owner may have somehow unknowingly ended up with bands that were made incorrectly by the supplier. They may not have supposed to have been released or went unchecked, had I bought them I would have never measured them.
    Perhaps a quick measurement of how far they stick out of the case and how far into the plunger the o ring sits will tell you if you could still use them.

As far as the other post about the shifter wobble, if you have a snap ring trans, you may need the later plate style shifter retainers.

Just a quick question for those followings info, are both transmissions skid steer or borg warner or one of each?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Just a quick question for those followings info, are both transmissions skid steer or borg warner or one of each?
    You know what? I don't know. I didn't know there were two manufacturers and visually they look the same. One data plate is completely faded so I'll have to check the castings for info. But, here's what I do know. I'll call the parts t20 the "old" one and the 980 t20 the "new one":

Old one has 9 tooth drums, new one has 18 tooth drums
    Both had diamond shifters held in place with the metal straps, not snap rings.
    Both have thrust washers.
    Old on has a big brake disk mounted with the sprocket on the input side. New one has no brake disk.
    Both have U channel plunger controls.
    New has bands that are 1 inch longer than old

These long bands will run but I'm so anal I just don't like it. I have pinned the uchannels and when adjusted the plungers are pretty close to the back of channel. If they weren't made of spring steel I could solve this problem pretty quickly!

They are both skid steer.
    Last edited by dirtdobber; 05-10-2020 at 11:41 AM.

So, here's what I know so far. The best explanation anyone has come up with is that I have a set of bands that was simply manufactured wrong. I talked with Transmission Crafters, and they can't put a lining on the band thick enough to take up the difference. They are presently lined with with .040 material, and it would need .100 material, which won't work due to cracking, sheer, etc. Plus they don't have anything that thick.

I haven't talked to Richard Clark, as I see no reason to at this point since I can't reline my long bands. So, I'm going to shorten the bands and run them. If they break I have nothing to lose but a little time, a T20 gasket and fluid, and hurt pride when a quad or side by side has to tow me. Then, I will have to buy a set of bands or scrounge around for a set to reline. I have an old set but they are rust damaged.

hey dobber ...i have a set of bands out of my 2001 max 2 t20 from when don kenyon installed new ones for me maybe 2 years ago . they were in pretty good shape , but i had already bought the new ones from r. relics . your welcome to them if they will work . what info would you need to see if they are a fit for you ? johnboy va.

JB that is great! My long bands are 58 5/8 inches around the outer circumference, center of eye to center of eye. Yours should be 57 5/8 or there abouts. I measure by wrapping a fishing line around the band. I guess a sewing tape would work also.

Thanks.

dob...post your phone # or address and i'll send them tomorrow. j.b.

Thank you JB. I sent you a private message.

+ Reply to Thread