Mystery 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Mystery 6x6

I would sure like to see pics and a video when your all done? Thanks for the detailed pics and video you have posted so far. This machine is a beast.

Coop will the hyd pump be running oil to tank thru the dcv all the time until you move the dcv to power the impeller? or are you going to put that electric clutch between the crank and the pump? if it runs all the time it will rob some hp not to mention heat up the oil. Oh' no I have never seen anything like the one you have or the one I built to pattern mine after. I saw one argo and have built two sand rails then I started building walley I think I drew 10 different plans until I chose this one because it suited my purpose for this machine.
    Last edited by chris davison; 03-24-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Chris....I had thought about using an electric clutch, I could mount that directly on the hydraulic motor. You are right, not running the hydraulics all the time would cut down on the heat in the system, no need to run the hydraulics when not in the water. Using a clutch om the pump also does away with the need for a valve between the hydraulic motor and pump, I could just plumb the motor directly to the pump, turn it on when I need it. I will have a filter on the suction side, and the radiator I picked out for the engine cooling also has a transmission cooler in it, so I'll plumb into that for the hydraulic cooling. If that isn't enough cooling, I'll incorporate a dedicated cooler for it. Like you, I will start out with chain drives until I get the correct speed fiquired out, if it isn't too fast, I'll probably stay with the chains, otherwise, I'll look into some kind of chain/ belt arrangement.

Coop one of the reasons I decieded to stay with a mechanical drive on the pump is efficiency I will get the most out of my 53 hp.
    hydraulic pumps and motors are usually 85% efficient unless you use a piston pump or motor they are 95 to 99% efficient and they all lose Eff. as the pressure increases from internal leakage some motors have a port on them that you connect to tank to drain off this leakage others are vented to the low pressure side. The ones with the vent has to be drained off to prevent them from blowing out the seals. How are you going to size your sys. for your motor hp or for fixed hull displacement max speed? That would be a smaller sys.

Chris....the motor I have is a Sauer Danfoss, max flow is 19.8 gpm, it does have a drain which I will use, I will be feeding it with a 24 gpm pump. The Subaru engine is 85 hp, I should have plenty of power. As far as water speed, I'm not to concerned with that, it had pretty good speed before with the drive right off the engine, I'm sure I can get the same performance hydraulically. I'm not planning on pulling a skier, just putting around the creeks and rivers, checking out the banks for artifacts...

Coop

Coop my wife and I like looking for fossils and arrow heads I found an arrow head in the dirt road and told my wife and she excidedly said" let me see it" so I showed her the stainless broad head I found and she just looked at me with contempt as I laughed.

Coop do you know what rpm these flow rates are achieved at? I"m assuming they are not a pistom pump or motor so you should get 85% of these flow rates. What will you set the relief valve at? and what is the max rpm of the motor and is the pump rated for that rpm? I can give you hp needed and motor torq and rpm from these # but right now it looks as if the motor will run 1.21 times faster than the pump.

Chris...Funny about the Broad head...Show her this is what they look like....A couple of my good finds. The big one I dug out of a river bank last year right after the ice flow had melted and water had receded...

Coop
    Attached Images

That one is huge they must be hunting bears. what tribes used to inhabit the area. Is the rock obsidian?

The big one is what is called a Snyders point, it was probably intended to be used as a knife, it is made out of a black flint. There isn't any obsidian here on the east coast, no volcanos here. It dates back to the Woodland period, 2200-1800 BP. The other point is a Susquehanna Broad, that one is older, 3200-2700 BP, it was probably a spear point. It is a very addictive hobby for me, the thrill of finding something that was part of somebodies day to day survival after it was dropped there thousands of years ago, and then I am the first person to touch it since it was lost, is just amazing to me. It kind of puts our short lives into perspective, if we're lucky we get to stay on this earth 70-80 years, I have stuff I have found that is 140000 years old, thats a lot of lifetimes....

Coop

+ Reply to Thread