Escargo Tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Escargo Tracks?

Escargo Tracks?

Has any one used or seen these tracks before? Are they comparible to the adair tracks? Escargo Tracks - Timmins
    Thanks ANDY
    2002 Argo 8x8 Conquest with tracks,custom front bumper,winch,spotters,homemade windshield,and toolbox. SOLD
    2012 Argo 8x8 Avenger HDI. 3500#warn, Adair Argo cover

ANDY

I was told by a person that used the Escargo tracks and then switched to the Adair tracks on his Argo, that the Escargo tracks were harder to skid steer with, took more power from the engine to turn the tracks because of their heavier weight , were slower in the water because they were heavier to turn ,cost more than the Adair tracks he replaced them with.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 07-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY View Post
    Has any one used or seen these tracks before? Are they comparible to the adair tracks? Escargo Tracks - Timmins
    Thanks ANDY
    Andy, The Escargo tracks are very good tracks but you will have less trouble, less expense with the Adair tracks, watch the Big nasty videos I posted with the three Argo frontiers with Adair tracks, we never came close to getting stuck, they will make your conquest a swimmer and if you can get the machine stuck you will have accomplished something! They are ideal for mud, swamp, water, LESS WEAR AND TEAR ON YOUR MACHINE and on top of everything else, reasonably priced.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 07-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.

How do these Adair tracks put less stress on your machine? Do the Adair tracks work well in snow? I have the stock13" plastic tracks for my Argo now but I was lookin to upgrade to an avenger. I just didn't like the looks of those 18" rubber Argo tracks they sell.
    2002 Argo 8x8 Conquest with tracks,custom front bumper,winch,spotters,homemade windshield,and toolbox. SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY View Post
    How do these Adair tracks put less stress on your machine? Do the Adair tracks work well in snow? I have the stock13" plastic tracks for my Argo now but I was lookin to upgrade to an avenger. I just didn't like the looks of those 18" rubber Argo tracks they sell.
    Adair Tracks are easier on your bearings and chains because they turn your machine with less effort than tires, they slide sideways when you hit the handlebars, less wear and tear on chains, bearings and sprockets because the tire spins in the tracks so the chains don't bind (Argo rubber Tracks bind).
    If you have stock plastic tracks:
    Do they climb out of mud holes?
    Do they swim?
    How do they work in swamp conditions?
    Do they do well in the mud?

Adair tracks excel in all these areas.

Will Adair tracks work well in the snow?
    Watch the video of an HDI equipped with Adair 22" snow tracks and tell me what you think.

How do the stock 14 1/2 inch wide Adair tracks work in the snow? Watch the Argo Frontier with Adair tracks in this video, also see the post of forum members who have driven their Adair equipped machines in the snow, everyone who has tried them is very impressed.

As far as any other condition, please watch this video of my Argo 650 HD with Adair tracks in various swamp and mud conditions.

That's weird that they put less stress on your machine. My tracks I have need to be in slippery mud or snow to be able to turn otherwise it takes alot of power to turn it. But I havnt tried them out in swamps or muskeg only snow so far. Are the tires supposed to spin inside the tracks? Cause I had my tracks a lil loose one time and the tires were spinning inside some times and it tore off all the tops of the tread. I don't plan on goin in that much snow where a guy would need the 22" tracks, that video of the 14"'seem to work well in snow. I noticed the terrain you ride in is purely swamp marsh, have u tried the tracks on a hard pack quad trail? Do u think they would wear fast?

Thanks

Andy

The Adair tracks are made out of UHMW material and its very similar to what is used to make kitchen cutting boards. UHMW is very durable! With that being said , a rubber track will suffer a lot more surface wear and tear when driven over rough gravel roads than a track thats made out of UHMW material. Because UHMW will slide across the tires much easier than rubber will ,this allows the track to slip over the front tires when under extreme load. Also, because the Adair tracks lugs are straight this allows much smoother turns left or right than a rubber track will. I drove my Argo Frontier in the back yard with the tracks on and then with the Frontier tires on it that came on the machine, and the Adair tracks were a whole lot easier to turn. Because the Adair tracks turn easier than tires do, this puts less stress on the axles, bearings and chains. When turning on pavement with tires vs Adair tracks its like a night and day difference! This difference would be even more profound if this same comparison was made with rubber tracks vs Adair tracks
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Adair Tracks are easier on your bearings and chains because they turn your machine with less effort than tires, they slide sideways when you hit the handlebars, less wear and tear on chains, bearings and sprockets because the tire spins in the tracks so the chains don't bind (Argo rubber Tracks bind).
    If you have stock plastic tracks:
    Do they climb out of mud holes?
    Do they swim?
    How do they work in swamp conditions?
    Do they do well in the mud?

Adair tracks excel in all these areas.
    As far as any other condition, please watch this video of my Argo 650 HD with Adair tracks in various swamp and mud conditions.

I really like this vid of the Adair's in various mud/muck conditions. I think it gives a good overall idea of just what these tracks are capable of.
    Question: Can you add/remove the track width extensions easily for summer/winter aplications?
    Ballpark price for width extensions?

Nice vids MM

RD

RD to answer your question "is it easy to convert back and fourth from narrow summer to wide winter tracks?"...answer is not really. It is possible, but the way they are designed right now, it requires the removial of the small individual spacers that are between each grouser and replacing them with wider ones, which are either +2" or +4.5" wider that the stock size...this can be done on either the inside or the outside or both in any combination that fits the purpose...if width is added to the inside, then the wheels need to be pushed farther out like a factory wide track would....you would use either a stock size 2.5" wheel spacer like argo, or a 5" wheel spacer like Max or Mudd-Ox would use...

the problem is that you wouldnt normaly have both size spacers on hand, and if you did, it would add quite a bit to the cost of the initial purchase...if you made the decision to widen the track durring the initial purchase, each 2" or 2.5" width would add about 5% to the cost to mfg the whole kit, plus the cost of the wheel spacers if needed (about $35 - or $45 per axle depending on size or style)....so for example, if you took the standard 14.5" track and added 4.5" to the outside it would add about 10% and if you also added 2" to the inside it would add an additional 5% plus the cost of a 2.5" set of wheel spacers...

in addition if you were to do this to a stock set after the fact, it would require a few hours worth of time to dissassemble and reassemble the tracks, just like you would if you were going to rebuild the track and replace the worn chain with new chain...

hope this helps to understand what is involved...

+ Reply to Thread