winch

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: winch

winch

Love this sight!!
    Well moose hunting season is over here in Alaska , I hunt with a couple of other argo-nuts & we had some discussion of winches . I have a RULE 4200 winch that came with my machine (very happy with it), brother in law has a super winch 3000( Not so happy ), brother has a warn 2000 ( well its ok ) Barney just bought a 3500 Ramsey, winched twice & the hex shaft stripped out, (Not happy at all )
    What winch do you use and the pound rating?
    What IS the best winch out there?
    I think the RULE winch with the planetary drive is awsome, but they are out of business & no longer make them. I have used warn, ramsey & some other off brand little winch (2000 lb) over the past 20 years & think the RULE has been the best one I have used to date.
    Would appriciate any feed back from anyone but am curious what winch Rock Doctor uses?
    Not trying to d

If you have a marginal winch, get one of these to double the pulling power. Even if you have plenty of winch, it's still usefull for a non straightline pull. I have a 10 year old 2000 warn, and with the block it'll get me out of anything. I have taken the winch apart and serviced it, that always helps.

Search results for: 'snatch block'
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Thanks Roger.
    I / we have been using the "snatch blocks" for years & yes they are worth their wieght in gold when needed.
    As with the argo itself, we service our winches periodically & hence find problems BEFORE going out into the mud & mountains. Good advice & thanks.

I think RD is up in the 4000#+ zone. Of course he moves cabins and bridges with his.

On the flip side, I know a guy with a MaxII, who uses a lightweight low # winch, skips breakfast, and runs a 1/2 tank of gas just to keep vehicle weight down, so his chances of coming out of a mudhole are better.

Will be good to hear feedback about the good and bad of current winches.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I have a 3000# Promark winch on my 4 wheeler. Mine is the XTR version with a synthetic rope, I will never go back to a steel line. It has performed well and seems well made. I believe it is the same as Viper, etc. but not positive. I also use a snatch block on almost all pulls. So far it has been a good purchase and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks arp35, I'll check out the Promark, don't think I've heard of that one before. I'm doing research for my buddy to replace his new Ramsey with somthing better built.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I think RD is up in the 4000#+ zone. Of course he moves cabins and bridges with his.

Of course, if the winch is there, we will use it........ To its limits!!!

On the flip side, I know a guy with a MaxII, who uses a lightweight low # winch, skips breakfast, and runs a 1/2 tank of gas just to keep vehicle weight down, so his chances of coming out of a mudhole are better.

With an 8X8 argo we don't have to skip ANY meals, on the flip side, when an 8X8 gets stuck, it is nice & handy to have an adequate winch (that works) to get her out.

Will be good to hear feedback about the good and bad of current winches.
    I agree, & thats the beauty of this sight, getting feedback from people who run pretty much the same machines in different enviroments.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-29-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: merged two consecutive posts. You can reply to everyone in one post by using the multi quote button.

I run a warn works 4700lb, it is good so far. The only complaint I have is the solenoid on mine got damaged and I had to buy a reversing solenoid from cole hersee, I then mounted in the engine compartment to protect it from damage. I use mine for winching and plowing, but better make sure your charging system and battery are in good order, it uses a bit of power.

I carry an extra 50 ft of cable and an adaptor I made up that I bolt on to one of the front axles if I have to. Although I don't run the best winch (Viper) it has done me well. The reason for the extra cable and adaptor is that I can use the engine and trans to assist my winch. And the extra cable takes the beating/twisting instead of my winch cable. Only had to use it once, but in conjunction with a 2:1 pull setup, pulls like on ice.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

I'm also a fan of the RULE4200. If I could have my way it would have a 100ft spool, like the 3000lb. I would also like to see a faster line speed, but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I've tried a few of the cheeper brands, Gold Winch, Superwinch, Motomaster, ect. At the end of the day, I think you get what you pay for.

I have a couple 2000lb Warn Winches on my quads, and have had pretty good luck with them, Just don't use them to "Tie Down" your quad, and they should be fine.

Thanks garbie, that is a consideration I over looked. The hp rating of the electric motor.

+ Reply to Thread