2019 frontier 600 battery issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2019 frontier 600 battery issues

2019 frontier 600 battery issues

Howdy all, I'm working on a frontier 600 6x6 with the briggs vanguard 18 hp in it (not my own). I changed the battery because the origional was showing 4.7 volts on the meter and would trip the trickle charger I put it on. Now it's having no charge / no start issues again after a week. I'm thinking the voltage regulator is pooched. Anyone else had these issues? It's pretty young to be dieing yet. I have a vanguard 2 from 1999 that still has origional charging components on it. I'm almost thinking it's getting 30 or so volts a/c out of the stator straight through to the battery. Would this cause cells to go bad on an AGM battery?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    You should be getting 13 or so volts DC to the battery. You should not be getting AC current to the battery at all. Sounds like a bad voltage regulator/rectifer. Or some bad wiring. Don't know for sure but I would think that AC current going to a DC battery would have a detrimental effect.

So after some exploratory surgery... the stator is pooched, shows continuity between the two leeds, and the regulator im going to assume is done too, it melted the connection to the wire leading to the battery. So now my issue is this: the stator needs to be replaced and to do that the intake air duct needs to be removed, but it was installed before the top tub was so its not going anywhere. I'm left with lifting the engine out to make the flywheel accessible. Am I missing something? This is a terrible design flaw. On my older argos it takes all of 2 minutes to remove the air duct, and I have replaced stators before in the tub. A pain in the ass , but not impossible. Someone tell me I missed something dumb... please! I just can't believe I would have to remove the engine to replace the stator

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I honestly think that the engineering department should have to learn how to repair the machine after they design it. On their time. But to get back to your problem, I have read about this before and I THINK, not sure, someone came up with a solution. You may have to do a couple of searches to find it. Hopefully someone else will be reading this that has come across the problem and can give you the proper advise or maybe get hold of the Argo tech guys?

I've searched around a bit and come up with nothing... just looking at it there is only one way to do this and it's with the engine out of the machine. I agree the engineers realy should have come up with something a little better for repairs / a bit of foresight. I even tried to drill out the rivets holding the upper and lower halves of the air duct together, then discovered that there are 4 on the back side towards the tub completely inaccessible. Noticed too in the service manual for the newer machines they have got rid of the ducting section completely. That thing is ment to never come out of there. Makes me appreciate my older machines that much more. The worst part is this isn't even my machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    I've searched around a bit and come up with nothing... just looking at it there is only one way to do this and it's with the engine out of the machine. I agree the engineers realy should have come up with something a little better for repairs / a bit of foresight. I even tried to drill out the rivets holding the upper and lower halves of the air duct together, then discovered that there are 4 on the back side towards the tub completely inaccessible. Noticed too in the service manual for the newer machines they have got rid of the ducting section completely. That thing is ment to never come out of there. Makes me appreciate my older machines that much more. The worst part is this isn't even my machine!
    I still haven't gotten to mine, perhaps you can unbolt the engine, remove the belt and muffler and just slide it over against the other side of the tub.

Taking the engine out should not be too bad though, and be easier to see what you are doing.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread