6x6 in the morning.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 6x6 in the morning.

6x6 in the morning.

Good morning everybody. I woke up this morning and decided to throw out my biggest question so far. I've never driven any AATVs but just from videos and reading online.......but I really like the Max IV. My question is, which is the biggest problems people face with the Max IV and is it as capable as the others??

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan M View Post
    My question is, which is the biggest problems people face with the Max IV and is it as capable as the others??
    Hey Nathan,

The Max IV is a great machine. "Capability" is really determined by dozens of factors; driving style, tire size, tire type, engine size, etc. The basic Max IV design has been around for about 35 years or so. The predecessor (in name, only) was the RIM.

The biggest gripe I have with my RIM (and the same goes for Max IVs) is the relative difficulty with accessing the transmission. The engine is mounted directly OVER the transmission, which makes it a bit harder to do maintenance. I don't feel that it makes it more top-heavy, but some folks do. They have great ground clearance, a nice wheel-base, they're roomy up front, and have a lot of room for storage. It's a very simple and well-tested design. I have a set of well-worn Goodyear TerraGrips on mine, and it swims like a fish in the water. Not all of the tires on the market will swim as fast, but the Terra's were an option on the IV for just about as long as I can remember.

Admin Mike built a big, fat, snarly Max IV for his wife, and it's one of the most nutzo trail machines out there. They're truly a great platform, in my opinion.

Last edited by hydromike; 06-17-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added big, fat, snarly picture....

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Admin Mike built a big, fat, snarly Max IV for his wife, and it's one of the most nutzo trail machines out there. They're truly a great platform, in my opinion.

I've noticed in most of his videos, admin Mike is usually in his "wife's" Max IV, and his wife is usually in a blue Max II....lol
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Yeah I really like his wife's Max. Thanks for replying to my questions. Sorry I didn't reply all day. Right after I posted I had to work and jumped in my folks pool to cool down and ended up smacking my head on the pool bottom and sustained a mild concussion. So its been a crazy day and I'm a little foggy now. I can't wait to find a Max down the road and join the club of 6x6 owners.

If I were to find a deal what other 6x6s are good entry level options that also are a good platform for improvement?

Look for a machine with a t-20 tranny and a poly body. Attex's and Hustlers popular machines too.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

It seems like the Hustlers are taller and more "skid steer" like. Are they as stable on water?

There are Max IV's out there, just keep looking. Here's a reasonably priced one.....just too far away from me. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/aatvs...hp-kohler.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan M View Post
    It seems like the Hustlers are taller and more "skid steer" like. Are they as stable on water?
    this pic shows an Attex (or 3) a Hustler 980 bigfoot, and a Max II. should give a good size comparison.

this shot shows the height difference between a Hustler 950 and the 980

the first time you drive any of them off into the drink it is going to feel unstable, but I have driven all of the machines that have been discussed in this thread, and find them all to be quite stable on land and water. they all just feel "different" from each other.

I wouldn't shy away from an ABS bodied Attex. All 3 of mine are ABS and it is far easier to repair than POLY. The ABS does seem to get brittle if the machine has been left out in the sun it's entire life, but my machines get driven like I hate them, and they are holding up well.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Wow, I didn't realize there was that much of a size difference in some of these machines. And I really wish I had the $$$ to spend on that Max IV because I'd be on my way to get it right now. But things are tough at the moment. I've got a two year old daughter and my son is due to arrive Sept 16th. So I can't buy any toys till things calm down, but hopefully that won't be too long. There's a guy in some of the videos wearing a cowboy hat in what looks to be an XL-sized Hustler. I thought it was just the tires that made it seem so tall, but is it just a bigger model than the other Hustlers I'm used to seeing?

+ Reply to Thread