Hustler 980 tall tub build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 tall tub build

Finally finished my latest round of fine tuning things and went for a ride Saturday. Everything worked well and the band chatter is almost gone. Replaced the green spring with a plain one and my top speed is up to a whopping 15 mph maybe.

The torque is amazing. My son was with me on a john deere buck 500 4 wheeler. Very heavy machine. He stuck it and I pulled it out with no effort at all.

When I finish the rear floorboard this build will be complete.

Awesome!
    DanW

dobber...so to get the better torque you replace the green spring with a plain one . does that mean it's not any color ? is there green , red and plain ? j.b.

JB there are several spring colors, from weakest to strongest is:
    Plain
    Black
    Blue
    Green
    Red

The strongest spring (red) keeps the driven clutch from opening as easily, meaning it takes higher RPM and more force from the drive clutch to make it open. This "holds" the CVT in a lower ratio for longer and thus give you more torque, versus top end speed. So, when I was running the green spring, the machine was very slow, so I changed to a plain spring that allows it to shift sooner rather than later. Even with the plain spring I have more than plenty of torque.

got it ....thanks, fortunately on my max 2 highboy i can easily just change the final drive sprocket to less teeth for a lower gear ratio . i need to see what my top speed now is. i don't care about going fast , but like the power , especially when running tracks . even if i'm left behind the group at busco...it only takes a minute to catch up to the first machine stuck in the mud !! j.b.

Update on the 980.

I have been on a number of "test rides" over the last several months and I have never been happy with the speed, or lack thereof. In sand or semi soft mud I move along pretty slow, even at wide open throttle. No strain whatsoever on the engine. I got into some deep pudding mud and learned it will slip the belt rather than spin the tires...even with scoring the pulley sheaves for extra grip. Again, not a hint of strain on the engine. So, when I get time, I'm going to rebuild the drive clutch with some 109 gram weights and purple springs thanks to Roy at Quality Drive Systems.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but with as much torque as I have, I should be able to spin the tires and sling some mud!

happy to hear you are getting '' fine tuned '' just the way it works for you . j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Update on the 980.

I have been on a number of "test rides" over the last several months and I have never been happy with the speed, or lack thereof. In sand or semi soft mud I move along pretty slow, even at wide open throttle. No strain whatsoever on the engine. I got into some deep pudding mud and learned it will slip the belt rather than spin the tires...even with scoring the pulley sheaves for extra grip. Again, not a hint of strain on the engine. So, when I get time, I'm going to rebuild the drive clutch with some 109 gram weights and purple springs thanks to Roy at Quality Drive Systems.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but with as much torque as I have, I should be able to spin the tires and sling some mud!
    At 15mph top speed, remembering that racerone3 posted top speed at 18mph, there is minimal top speed loss for the slower turning diesel. Ofcourse the diesel turns slower and differently than the gas. So that may just be what it is unless you drop sprocket teeth.
    As far as wheel spinning mud slinging, you may never attain that but more of a churning and that may take time to get used to, you have to remember you have large biting tires chewing threw mud. As the big tire bites,chews and discards the mud they have already bit more and more, maybe try the less aggressive tires off the other machine and see if your perceived hp feels better and perhaps even a roost.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks JB and AJ. I'm not so worried about top end speed. The Yanmar is spinning at 3450 WOT so that's enough for me. What I'm really after is a shift to higher gear by the clutch when under a load. AJ I agree the deep lug tires have a lot of bite, and if they don't spin that's fine by me. But, the clutch should be looking for a higher gear and at least load the engine somewhat. If the new clutch weights don't do it then it is what it is, but my gut tells me performance should be better than what I have now, particularly since it will slip the belt when it should spin the tires. The drive clutch just isn't providing the bite.

On another note, I have a spare (old) drive clutch that I was going to build. But, after tearing it down, I don't like the wear pattern on the sheaves. I'm calling this one junk.
    Clutch sheave.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Thanks JB and AJ. I'm not so worried about top end speed. The Yanmar is spinning at 3450 WOT so that's enough for me. What I'm really after is a shift to higher gear by the clutch when under a load. AJ I agree the deep lug tires have a lot of bite, and if they don't spin that's fine by me. But, the clutch should be looking for a higher gear and at least load the engine somewhat. If the new clutch weights don't do it then it is what it is, but my gut tells me performance should be better than what I have now, particularly since it will slip the belt when it should spin the tires. The drive clutch just isn't providing the bite.

On another note, I have a spare (old) drive clutch that I was going to build. But, after tearing it down, I don't like the wear pattern on the sheaves. I'm calling this one junk.
    Attachment 18509
    If your going to junk it, I would take it off your hands
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread