Max machines gas tank size

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max machines gas tank size

Max machines gas tank size

Recently tried to replace the gas cap on my Max II with a cap that has a built in gauge. I bought it from Route6x6 because it specifically said it would work on ALL Max II machines that have a "screw on" cap which is exactly what I have. That and I'll be honest I was too lazy to get up and measure the existing cap which would've enabled me to shop around a bit. So, the new cap arrived and when I tried it it bottomed out and wouldn't even start to thread on. Returned the cap to Route6x6 and they said that they tried it on 3 different Max IIs and it fit like it should. My question is this, did RI use the same size gas tanks in all their models? Was there a design or spec change at some point? Trying to figure out how my ( as far as I know) factory installed gas tank is smaller than what it should be. It appears to be factory with no obvious alterations to it or the bracket but I could be wrong. Were there aftermarket tanks sold that were very similar in design but not exactly the same dimensionally? Again, just trying to figure out this mystery. Thanks Cup

As far as I know there are only 2 gauge caps, one for the II and IV and one for the Buffalo, as they all use the same tanks. There were black and natural tanks in plastic.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    As far as I know there are only 2 gauge caps, one for the II and IV and one for the Buffalo, as they all use the same tanks. There were black and natural tanks in plastic.
    Sure wish I knew what was going on then. Seems very odd to me that it was too long for my tank but not the 3 tanks Route6x6 tried it on after I returned it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that I've been lied to or anything remotely like that. What I'm saying is that I don't get how or why my tank would be smaller when all indications are that it's an original tank. With it in the machine I can only see so much of it but even if I removed it is there any writing on it or identifying marks that would confirm that its original?? Eitherway thanks for responding I appreciate it...Cup

The natural tank is 8-1/4 round with a 1-3/4 neck, tape inside measures 10 if your tank doesnt match then it has been changed. The buffalo uses an extension and is probably 2-3 deeper.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    The natural tank is 8-1/4 round with a 1-3/4 neck, tape inside measures 10 if your tank doesnt match then it has been changed. The buffalo uses an extension and is probably 2-3 deeper.
    You must've read my mind because that was exactly the info I was going to ask for next. My next question was going to be...how far off the bottom of the tank is the tip of the float bracket supposed to be? Asking because I've found conflicting info online that said 1/2", 1/4" and one that said almost touching. I realize there's not much difference between those dimensions and wouldn't think it would make a damn bit of difference as long as it's not bottoming out and the cap screws on all the way but I've been wrong plenty of times before so maybe you can tell me...thanks Cup
    Last edited by Cupwalker; 12-16-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Never mind I found a reliable answer online that I'm going with. Thanks Cup

Forgot to mention that I measured the depth of the tank and it was 10", well 9 15/16" to be exact but I highly doubt a 1/16" is why the gas cap gauge didn't fit. Not sure what to think but I've already ordered a different gas cap gauge from another source so we'll see how it goes...thanks Cup

I've found those guage caps don't work after a year and cant see thru the lens after 2 years. I've never burned a whole tank in a day of hard riding so I just fill up in the morning before heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by mfenmor View Post
    I've found those guage caps don't work after a year and cant see thru the lens after 2 years. I've never burned a whole tank in a day of hard riding so I just fill up in the morning before heading out.
    That never occurred to me until just now and I don't know why it didn't because over the years I've seen exactly what you're referring to. The lenses seem to yellow or "fog up" similar to what car headlights do. That and what you said about the gauge itself malfunctioning over time I've also seen. I was on the fence about getting one anyway because it's not like I can't see the gas level from inside the machine where the tank is mounted. I think it was more of an impulse buy than anything. I needed a new gas cap and when I saw the gauge cap I thought...what the hell maybe I'll get something a little fancier than a plain gas cap. I'll consider that info moving forward that's for sure. Thanks....Cup

+ Reply to Thread