How, where, size belt? Help.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How, where, size belt? Help.

How, where, size belt? Help.

I have bought a what I believe to be 1983 max ll. Long story short I've put in a lot of work and it now runs and rolls and I love it... It had a Tecumseh 14 horse that was toast. I've replaced it with a 25hp Kohler command. I used the clutches that came with it. (I had the crankshaft milled to fit) I am sure the belt is to tight. Digs down into the secondary on the trans at least a inch maybe more. My question is .... How should the belt fit? Should it be slack at rest.. I just have no experience and don't know. I live in western KY. And don't know of anyone else with a machine that would know... Where might I look for a belt once I know what size to look for?
    Last edited by NathanK; 12-20-2021 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Thanks I will give that a try and see what I come up with... Also what kind of slack is the belt supposed to have if any

Proper belt tension on the Salisbury clutches is listed as 1/16” clearance on center hub of engine clutch when pulled as tight as you can by hand. If it’s to tight it squeals at idle when driven isn’t turning. Squeal comes from belt riding to tight on center hub of drive clutch. To loose and the low end power is poor. Proper width sets belt flush or slightly above outer rim of driven clutch at rest. Hope this may help.

That will help. Thank you guys for the advice... I've just gotten my max rolling and am loving it. I've been very lucky with the help in getting a motor then rebuilding it. I haven't the money to waste (nobody does) I'm just looking to have this machine right, reliable and it's been going slowly but great.

+ Reply to Thread