How do I get the frame out?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do I get the frame out?

Question How do I get the frame out?

Hi everyone, I recently bought this Max IV and want to clean out all of the caked on oil and grease. I have managed to remove what I could to this point. What is my next step to removing the frame to get to the bottom of the machine.
    IMG_0834.jpg
    Last edited by Freedom6X6; 08-18-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Remove engine, t20, then axles and sprockets. make sure you take your outer bearing flanges and bolts out the just remove the frame. I'm assuming you are working with the lower tub only and removed the top section already.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thank you! So basically remove the 6 hex and 6 bolts next to the hex screws then pull out axels and lift out frame?

I also see additional 4 bolts on the frame at each wheel.

Do I have to remove this hex screw if I want to remove the frame? If so how do I get it lose? I have already twisted a hex wrench all the way around. I have to clue how to get it off.

IMG_0836.jpg
    Last edited by Mike; 08-18-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts (you can edit your original post ;)

Admin Mike posted a great video on "How to replace axle bearings on a Max". Go to the Home of this site and scroll over on the video section until you see it. It is an excellent source of information and helped me in my Hustler 950 tear down and rebuild. To get the frame out you will need to remove all 6 axles/bearings. While you are at it, it is the perfect time to closely inspect and replace any bad bearings.

Max II 6x6 ATV Axle and Bearing Replacement - YouTube

Good luck with your project.
    Dan

Thank you! That answered my question!

Quote Originally Posted by mpmitri View Post
    Thank you! That answered my question!
    I wish you luck! I had to drill the setscrews out of my sprockets to get the axles off. I also had to cut the bearings off. Everything gets rusted together and makes it impossible to take apart. I recommened picking up some antiseize for when you put it back together. I bought some marine grade stuff from mcmastercarr

Angry Am I doint it right?

Quote Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post
    I wish you luck! I had to drill the setscrews out of my sprockets to get the axles off. I also had to cut the bearings off. Everything gets rusted together and makes it impossible to take apart. I recommend picking up some antiseize for when you put it back together. I bought some marine grade stuff from mcmastercarr
    Thank god you replied....I was beginning to think I was out of my mind after viewing that video and seeing how easy it was. How did you cut your bearings off? I only have done one axle so far: see picture. I smashed the bearing with a sledgehammer, but the other one is still on and I don't have room for a hammer. This is my first ever aatv...is this normal? or am I doing something wrong? even with the one bearing off I still can not pull it out because the sprocket wont slide off....how do I get that piece off?????? o-boy

IMG_0838.jpgIMG_0837.jpg

Soak the stuff in penatrating fluid. I have used acetone even. You may have to cut the inner and outer race of the bearing with a dremmel tool or cutoff wheel. If you can get one bearing off and get the axle out, you can press the other bearing off with a shop press. The bearings are snugg on the axles and any rust on the axle can make it a pain to remove them.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Ok, so I will keep working on it. This isn't easy.

I went to my local Harbor Freight and bought the 20-ton shop press, it is a huge help. Once you get the axle off the inner bearing you can easily push the outer bearings and flange and locking collars off. I figure I'll replace bearings often enough that it will pay for itself in a few uses.

20 Ton Shop Press

I had 1 axle on my hustler that would just not come out for nothing. I was able to get the other five out. I tried using a Gear puller from the inner rail pushing the axle out of the inner bearing. And soaking it in PBlaster helps too.

14 Piece Gear Puller Set

+ Reply to Thread