Electric start Kawasaki 440 (Arctic Cat)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Electric start Kawasaki 440 (Arctic Cat)

Electric start Kawasaki 440 (Arctic Cat)

I'm currently getting ready to transfer a 1974 Arctic Cat 440 into my Trail Boss. do the Kawasaki 440's require anything else to make them electric start besides the motor? I was wonding if there was a support bracket or anything...my engine has a spot for a electric start motor and I want to put one on it....any info on doing this is greatly appreciated!!
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

Well got the 440 Kawasaki out of the sled and onto the bench....after some cleaning up I got it running....has a Mikuni carb already on it so that is a nice bonus....runs like a bear...I can wait to get it mounted... I want to build a "slider" type mount to have about an inch of adjustment for the belt, plus put on rubber isolators to keep the vibrations at a minimum and was wondering if there is any special re-enforcing I need to do to the mount for it to hold the torque from the engine without cracking....
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

If you use isolators and can weld .....the mount from the snowmobile should be good with 4 bolts to the frame.
    Make sure you offset the clutches so the belt is aligned when the secondary opens. I set mine at 1/4" offset and it seems to work good.
    An inch of adjustment is more than you need.......by the time your belt stretches that much the width will probably be too narrow.

I would but the mount angles the engine forward....I was going to just mount the engine upright (for fitment in the machine)...I'm going to fab some mounts out of 3" flat stock with isolators to cut the vibrations...which direction do I offset? I also wanted to ask if there is a "golden rule" for choosing a belt...since this project is custom, I'm gonna need to get a belt by length and width rather than vehicle spec, plus I'm gonna need it first to set where the mounting holes are gonna be for the engine...

I used this for the offset...

Install the belt when you align the engine and pull it till theres an 1 1/4" of deflection.

I bolted the flatstock to the engine and clamped the plate to the mount and tacked it in place where it was aligned.
    Then remove the engine and weld the mount

The fixed faces of both of my clutches are on the same side....is that going to be a problem? I would just line them up and it should be fine....

That's gonna be a problem. The belt moves sideways as it climbs/decends the clutches. The fixed faces must be on opposite sides to keep the belt straight.

I know the Comet clutch setups on some of the bigger HP go carts the fixed sides of the clutches are on the same side....the belt should just move with the clutches side to side...my machine being a custom the secondary clutch has some side to side play in it....maybe who ever re engineered my machine took this into account and thats why my secondary clutch kinda "floats" on the shaft to center the belt automaticlly...

What is your primary clutch?
    The info i posted is for a salsbury clutch.

The primary clutch is the factory one on it from Arctic Cat (Kawasaki 440 2 stroke twin)....I'm not sure of the maker...

+ Reply to Thread