Kawasaki FD620D running poorly. Help?!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki FD620D running poorly. Help?!

Well, that sounds right. But you gotta admit, that's a terrible picture.

If you got the dough, I would buy a new carb. You can always get a rebuild kit for your old one and keep it as a spare for when the new one clogs up. I'm tellin ya you gotta sonicly clean that thing for like an hour. It will clear those main jet passages like you wouldn't believe.

Check the needle and seat. I've had two 620's act the same as yours and the intake above the seat was plugged or partialy plugged. Use an air hose to blow back where the needle seats. Carefull using anything metal to unplug it cause you will damage the seat. Blow back and forth both ways. Not a very big hole coming into the seat so it could easily be plugged. I changed lines and filters on these machines and a little rubber or dirt plugged the seat.
    Slimpickin

You can follow but it's going to hurt

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Well, that sounds right. But you gotta admit, that's a terrible picture.
    Yeah the pics in the manuals are awful. Makes it harder on someone trying to learn like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkola View Post
    If you got the dough, I would buy a new carb. You can always get a rebuild kit for your old one and keep it as a spare for when the new one clogs up. I'm tellin ya you gotta sonicly clean that thing for like an hour. It will clear those main jet passages like you wouldn't believe.
    I'm not sure what the sonic cleaner you're talking about is, but, my wife is a dental hygienist and I used her water pick and some scalers. lol.. I am going to buy a new carb for sure, I'll use the current for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimpickin View Post
    Check the needle and seat. I've had two 620's act the same as yours and the intake above the seat was plugged or partialy plugged. Use an air hose to blow back where the needle seats. Carefull using anything metal to unplug it cause you will damage the seat. Blow back and forth both ways. Not a very big hole coming into the seat so it could easily be plugged. I changed lines and filters on these machines and a little rubber or dirt plugged the seat.
    I was so embarrassed last night to admit I neglected that particular hole while cleaning. The bottom half of the carb got the deep cleaning. There wasn't a speck of grime on the bottom half. BUT - I neglected to clean the very FIRST hole fuel passes through. Fuel cannot even get to the other jets or bowl or anything without first passing that hole. I'm not sure if she's fully fixed (because it was 3am and I was too tired to take a drive) but she cranks up and revs and operates correctly in neutral after cleaning that hole. I also did a float adjustment but I'm almost positive that hole was clogged.

Two major issues fixed: cleaned the hole at the fuel inlet on the carb and bent the float, it was slightly off center. I don't believe the flloat had free flow in the narrow channel in the bowl. I think with it being off-center it was preventing it from rising up and down like it's supposed to.

Anyway, I'm going to try and ride this evening to see what happens.

This is how I interpreted the float adjustment:
    Last edited by gimmegreens336; 11-03-2012 at 11:01 AM.

make sure the main jet is clear bud.its the one behind the fuel shut off solenoid.solenoid must be removed so you can extract it.turns out with a flat screw driver.

Those are clean as a whistle. It was amazing to look through it before and after... I could see a HUGE difference when shining a light though the air jet and looking into the fuel jet. I'm glad to got to take her apart and see how she works.

You helped remind me to show the solenoid clipped off.

This was also how much fuel was in the bowl after idling for a few minutes...?

I had the problem of the float being to close and hanging up on the center section of the carb as well. Did some adjusting and it works well now. Email me if you want to get a little more out of the engine. Easy adjustment to the governor spring and if you're not happy with it its easy to return to standard.
    Slimpickin

Glad you found that inlet plugged was the problem. I took the carb apart so many times on the first one I had trouble with I thought I was going to have to order new screws. I did everything to it I could think of and it wouldn't run properly. For some reason dawned on me to blow through that inlet and out flew the crap. Walla, its runing good. Had to do it twice cause I'm sure there was loose rubber bits in the new hose between the new filter and the carb.
    Slimpickin

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreens336 View Post
    ... I am going to buy a new carb for sure, I'll use the current for parts. ...
    Nah, you're good to go now.

+ Reply to Thread